1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

I'm a one string bassist

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by lolomgbass4lyfe, Jan 14, 2013.

1. lolomgbass4lyfe

lolomgbass4lyfe

I'm really into punk rock and metal and have been a vocalist for quite some time. I recently picked up bass. I've been playing by ear and getting pretty good. I'm getting ready to start a band with a friend of mine who plays guitar. But when I started, I didn't know that you were supposed to move over to other strings and thought it was okay to just stay on a single string at a time. I found out after playing for a friend who had been playing a bit longer than me. He asked me why I was only playing the E string. Personally, I think it doesn't matter. It sounds just as good and could totally hold the rhythm together. But I feel like the snobby bass player elite wouldn't accept me, and I know I should ignore them, but I find that I can't. Please let me know if you think this is okay, and if you do it too I'd also like to know. Thanks!

2. henry2513

henry2513 Supporting Member

If what you are playing fulfills the need of the music then who cares, if the music doesn't suffer from it then what's the problem with it?

3. lolomgbass4lyfe

lolomgbass4lyfe

That's exactly it. I don't know. It bugs me that people are bothered with it because it's not like I'm picking up the bass and like hitting the lower strings up and down and making noise. It makes me self-conscious about my playing.

4. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

If it ain't broken, don't fix it. However I would strongly advise to learn string shifts so it becomes a style choice and not an unconcious limit on your own playing.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Tupac

Tupac

Have we really become so underachieving that we think it's okay to ignore physically 3/4 of the instrument? I wouldn't go calling people who disagree with that notion "snobby bass elites". I can't make you do anything, and it's fine that you have fun, but it's not something you should take pride in with this "Haha, I'm ignorant and you can't stop me!" message.

Next reply: "Who cares, he's just having fun!"

I'm sure he is. The bass world would be very boring if everyone "just had fun" and put no work into it. I bet you'd have a lot more fun using the other 3 strings and playing with more people.

Flame war... BEGIN!

7. lolomgbass4lyfe

lolomgbass4lyfe

It's funny how you dismiss my "snobby bass elites" remark when this is exactly what you're representing with this post. Basically, what you're saying is that to be apart of your "Bassplayers Club", I have to do things I'm uncomfortable with and can't bring myself to do because it simply doesn't gel. It's in no way defiance. What I think bothers me most about this post is the "I'm ignorant and you can't stop me" part because that's almost the exact opposite of what this post is. I'm asking for help here. On another note, I most certainly have put work into my bass playing. I practice seven hours a day, possibly more.

8. lolomgbass4lyfe

lolomgbass4lyfe

Another thing: I play the other strings, I just don't shift a lot and I find it difficult because I'm so used to just one part on one string at a time.

9. Tupac

Tupac

You have the dedication (and time) to practice 7 hours a day, but never learned how to properly transition between strings? Unless most of that 7 hours is gigging or learning theory, that just isn't productive. Forget everything else, do you really not DESIRE to learn how?

10. FrednBass

FrednBass

As long is working, it's all very fine. Keep on rocking!

But when the music starts to 'lose' something by not using other strings/notes, well... then you're not doing it right.

11. Meyatch

Meyatch Supporting Member

You wouldn't be the worst bass player to ever live, but I don't see how you could become even below average only playing one string.

12. portlandguy

portlandguy

snobby bassists who know all the notes and stuff

13. lolomgbass4lyfe

lolomgbass4lyfe

Who cares? Honestly, I'm just giving up and saying who cares. It sounds the same. It sounds exactly the same. It keeps the song together fine. If all bassists care about is making it more difficult, I don't wanna play anymore.

14. lolomgbass4lyfe

lolomgbass4lyfe

You have a problem with playing by ear?

15. lolomgbass4lyfe

lolomgbass4lyfe

Not just one string, but single parts on one string at a time.

16. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Whatever works for you is fine. But I suspect your insecurity is causing you to take the attitude about elitist bass players. I would argue that it's easier to play across the fingerboard (as opposed to up and down) once you get the knack for it.

17. lolomgbass4lyfe

lolomgbass4lyfe

I've heard that from someone who is actually a bit of a snob. I asked him about this and he said I was actually doing it the hard way. But others see it differently, I guess.

18. Meyatch

Meyatch Supporting Member

That's just it, you are making it more difficult by choosing to play in a very inefficient manner.

19. lolomgbass4lyfe

lolomgbass4lyfe

It's efficient to me though.

20. Kenzy

Kenzy

lolomgbass4lyfe (lol. omg. bass. 4. lyfe...) joined this month. Just saying, everyone...

Maybe his next question will be, "What is the best bass for metal????" :rolleyes:

21. lolomgbass4lyfe

lolomgbass4lyfe

You'd be right, I joined today. The name, if you're mocking it, was a last minute thing. I'm more into punk so I probably wouldn't ask about the best bass for metal, nor would I for punk. I think that kind of thing doesn't matter.