I'M AN IDIOT...WHAT I ALREADY HAD IS PERFECT

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by DWLANG, Feb 18, 2013.

1. DWLANG

DWLANG

I've recently put my Fender P on the wall to opt for something different...and that something different is a Höfner CT 500/7 Verythin bass...I LOVE it! :hyper:

I had a Fender Bassman TV10 and TV15 already, but for some reason, got the thought in my head that I HAD to go with something w/ a horn since of the switch to a shortscale hollowbody that I put TI jazz flats on.

Over the past week, I've played everything...and even pulled the trigger on an Ampeg Portaflex rig (PF350 head w/ PF210HE cab)

Still...something seemed off. The Ampeg PF rig was cool as hell (love look and the fliptop concept is brilliant), but just didnt sound RIGHT.

I kept A / B'ing the new Höf' between the TV15 and the Ampeg.

Finally after visiting three music shops today, tinkering all day on the bass w/ different amps, and then finally digging deep into the threads here on TB re: the Fender Bassman TV series, I came to a conclusion.

What I already had was what I needed.

Thanks to a TB thread, it turns out that I somehow missed the boat for setting my TV10 flat (bass-2 / mid-10 or 12 / treble-2)! I tried it and OMG....that thing is a beast! How could I have forgotten the settings? I knew on my TV15 that Mid is cut only and the Bass and Treble are boost...

Solving my practice rig (which BTW has more than enough "oomph" for small / medium gigs and it has a DI out) issues w/ the TV10, I turned to the TV15.

I've posted a few times here in the past week that my E string seemed "muddy," especially on the open E and lower notes...

I checked to make sure that my settings were right (3-12-3) and then noticed a feature that I never used....the DEEP button (right next to the BRIGHT button). Punched that in and the mud was gone...replaced by a deep GROWL!

It doesnt hurt either that both the Fender Bassman TV10 and TV15 are drop-dead gorgeous in their throwback tweed and are built like tanks. (a tad heavy however)

So after a long day of frustration, I end w/ a zen moment.

What's that saying, "No matter where you go, there you are?" Indeed!(

(Now just to decide if I keep the Ampeg Portaflex rig for sh*ts and grins, or return it...)

2. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Pretty sure making such rash statements is against the rules here . . . .

:bag:

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'd rather have the PF rig personally ;) but the TV amps were pretty cool, even though I wasn't a fan of their lack of expandability with the high price.

4. DWLANG

DWLANG

Jammed today w/ the Höf' through the PF rig...it really does sound good! Great Ampeg tone!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

It pays to do your homework before you start laying out cash. I give my wallet to my wife before I go into a music store. It seems to help.

7. DWLANG

DWLANG

Something I've never been good at.

Seems I have more cash than sense at times...

8. 45acp

45acp

I have two "music store entrance techniques" that i have mastered over the years-

1- i leave the wallet in the truck. That walk back outside to get it allows a cool off period that may allow common sense and reasoning to overtake emotion

2- I take the bike. Cant haul much on a motorcycle, and that ride back home to get the truck does the same as #1

:D

9. 5 Wire

5 Wire

I'm old and cheap. I used to say I was "thrifty" but now I don't bother.

10. Mtnman

Mtnman

I use the exact same methods:bassist:

11. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

Having gigged with a GK for years, I needed a new head, and bought a PF-500. The change of tone was striking. It did take several gigs to become accustomed to the signature Ampeg sound, but I have never been happier with my bass rig tone as I was last gig.

I went through this same thing in 1975 when I replaced my Carvin head with an SVT. It sounded so different, but I absolutely loved the SVT.

In both cases it felt like a guitar player switching from a Roland Jazz Chorus to a Marshall.

I like Ampeg. Had I not gotten rid of my SVT in the early 80's to get into biamping, I'd likely still be schlepping that 85 lbs around today.

12. DWLANG

DWLANG

Great point!

I'm so used to the beefy tones of the Fender Bassman TV series amps that have the old 50's tone stack and dont have a horn, that at first I didnt like the Ampeg tone from the Portaflex rig (PF350 / PF210HE cab)

I've gone back and forth between the TV15 and PF rig and lately I've been leaning towards the Ampeg.

(The TV10, however, is AMAZING...and I think it will remain my small amp for coffeehouse gigs, rather than going w/ a small Ampeg BA112 or something of the ilk)

13. jazzbo58

jazzbo58 Bassist for The Patrick Godbey Band Supporting Member

+1 :D

Cheers,
    Jim

14. DWLANG

DWLANG

Still A / B'ing between the Fender Bassman TV15 and the Ampeg Portaflex rig (PF350 / 210 cab) and I think I've come to the conclusion that I prefer the TV15.

That gives me a TV10 for small / medium gigs and the TV15 for large gigs. Both have DI out, so they're very flexible...and in addition to being built like a brick sh*thouse, they're beautiful tweeds!

15. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I had the TV10 and hated it it I have never been so excited about getting an amp as when I got that one. I sold my SVT and Mesa Road Ready 4x10 because I didn't need all of that power for playing at home when the amp came I was too happy just a gorgeous amp fit and finish perfect I even got a tweed cord for it when I plugged it in I knew right away this was the wrong amp for me the Fender tone stack takes getting used to but the lows were not there at all and it sounded terrible with all of my basses it could have been the shock coming from a SVT and Mesa cab to a smaller setup but I returned it to GC the very next day.

16. DWLANG

DWLANG

Different courses for different horses...

17. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Meh. Unless you don't know where your mortgage payment is going to come from, no need to beat yourself up. Plus, it always takes me about 6 months to really get to know an amp. Right now I would say you are still in the "first impressions" stage. Keep it all. Sell it all. Keep some and sell some. Either way, if you are blessed enough to not worry too much about money, don't stress over it.

P.S. Your sig has just been stolen for daily use in my life. It's almost as cool as mine. :cool:

18. ezstep

ezstep

You already had what you wanted???

TROLL!!!!

:)

We have something called "auditory fatigue" (IIRC) which loosely translates that, no matter how good something sounds, we eventually get tired of it and crave something else. And, it's not surprising to find that we miss the "old" sound. I have known guys who had new equipment every six months. I used to joke with a couple of them to let me buy their old, used stuff. Fortunately for you, you didn't have to spend the money to find "nirvana."

19. chadds

chadds

You go into Music stores?

20. IronLung1986

IronLung1986

at least you didn't sell anything and then regret it! that's what i assumed happened from the title of the thread. i like the look of those fender tv amps, and ed friedland did a good video where they sounded pretty great. enjoy it!

21. Rob Martinez

Rob Martinez

I have the Fender Bassman TV Ten and it is killer. Used correctly, it can get a fat, warm tone that can compete with the Ampeg B100R. Which I also own.