I'm disenchanted with Hipshot

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Scoops, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Scoops

Scoops Vagabond at large Supporting Member

Ok

I now have multiple instances of quality issues with Hipshot products, and I need to figure, is it me ....or....

case #1
    I got a HS bridge (Bstyle). It's clear that the machining processes were cut short to save money, but it looks like crap. the valley in the metal is rough and irregular. I can provide pics

Case#2
    I have a new set of Ultra lite Tuners. 2 of the 5 bind up every 3rd turn, reminiscent of cheap stuff from 60's

Case#3
    there's buffing rouge all over the tuners mentioned above. I've never seen this before.

Case#4
    I purchased a headless system for a bass build. EVERY single string has broken at the clamping device on the headstock, rendering this bass useless.

Now, Hipshot is suppose to be premium quality components. I'm paying premium $$$ for this, but what I'm seeing is sub 3rd world product.

Any body else have the same experience?

2. Precision101

Precision101

Hipshot is like a 50/50 company from what I've heard. Its either amazing or terrible. I have a hipshot aluminum no string through bridge on my main precision bass and the thing kicks major ass. I have no complaints.

3. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Contact Hipshot. They will address your concerns and replace defective or questionable components. That being said:

*I cannot address the bridge as I've never ordered one. Most of my stuff came equipped with HS as stock.

*The Ultralites are equipped with user-friendly hex cap tension screws. They never come the way I like 'em so I adjust upon installation. They're also easily modified from treble to bass side...and vice versa...if desired. I consider the flexibility a plus and can live with the minor niggle of not always being spot-on out of the box.

*Buffing rouge - appears they need to address this post-production and pre-shipping.

*I have a real problem with several of the clamping devices where the string is secured by a single hex set-screw. My Zon Vinny bent the strings at right angles then used a communal clamping bar which was far more gentle on the windings. David King even sells after-market metal "cauls" (small concave brass covers) to place between the string and hex screw so the downward force is spread evenly across a greater segment of the string. Face it, the thing is a focused clamp and will easily crush / slice / severe a string under some conditions.

Again, talk to Hipshot. They will help, I promise.

Riis

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Supporting Member

Media:
    Are you positive they aren't counterfeit?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ASATMAN

ASATMAN Supporting Member

I've only owned a few sets of Hipshot ultralight tuners and have been very happy with them.

7. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Did you contact them about any of this? Did you buy these parts direct, or from a re-seller? If these came from ebay, you need to know that a lot of this stuff is being counterfeited.

I bought an A-style bridge direct from them and it's beautiful. They offered options, too- I didn't want polished brass, chrome, aluminum or black, so I got mine after the tumbling step. This is where it has been machined, but tumbled to remove any burrs on the metal next to the raw edges. Looks a bit like the bronze Ping putters when they're new. I also got the black saddles.

8. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

i've owned scads of hipshot hardware, bridges and tuners, new and used, with no serious issues whatsoever.

9. Scoops

OK,

Thanks for the feedback all.

Yes, I have contacted Hipshot a couple days ago, but they have yet to reply.

Looks like a bad run of luck on my behalf

10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    No issues with the Hipshot products I've ordered. I wouldn't go through eBay though. www.bestbassgear.com is my retailer of choice.

11. Steveaux

Steveaux

Don't email, call them.

12. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings Supporting Member

Hipshot is a very buttoned up company with very real and responsive customer service. That said...

1 - Where/whom did you purchase your Hipshot products from?

2 - You said you contacted Hipshot but didn't hear from them yet, so how did you contact them? Just pick up the phone and call them. You'll get a real person quickly who will resolve your concerns very quickly. Email contact will always take longer no matter what company you're contacting.

13. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

+1

14. bobalu

bobalu

I noticed this on my Ric 4003 bridge that I bought. I was a bit disappointed because they're supposed to be a top shelf part (with a price to match). I figured that's just the way they make them now (vs. a defect). It still works o.k. though. The Hipshot Licensed Ultralight tuners on my Lakland Skyline DJ4 are perfect and smooth, I was very impressed. I assume they're offshore (China?).

I can vouch for Hipshots customer service, they have always answered my e-mail inquiries promptly and accurately.

15. Scoops

Again, Thanks all for your input

The bridge I purchased from a person I knew, and I was assured that this was indeed a hipshot.

I purchased all of the other parts from bestbassgear.com. They have always been accommodating, and I'm sure they'll work with me. But I really don't feel it's their problem to resolve.

I did leave a VM and email on late Thursday, but I have yet to hear back. I'll be calling them 1st thing Monday morning.

Cheers

16. elBandito

elBandito

I buy them because they're American, but honestly, I like gotoh products better. None of hipshot tuner bushings, that are supposed to be direct drop in for fenders, fit right.

17. Precision101

Precision101

Aren't they located in Brooklyn?

18. Slowgypsy

Japan.

19. Scoops

Their web page says "about 20 miles North of Ithaca, NY"

20. Slowgypsy

Hipshot Products is located in upstate NY, but Gotoh is located in Japan.

21. wraub

wraub

Disclosures:
    I'll have an IPA, please.
    I have contacted Hipshot re: DeTuner issues, and have been very pleased with their customer service.
    Pretty sure they'll do you right.
    Email + phone worked for me. Be specific and include as many details as possible.
    More than in the OP IMO. Where/when/how purchased, product names, etc.