i'm finding it hard to just start again...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Icey101, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Icey101

Icey101

so my band went into its death throws and we all went our way when the vox split...2 years being together

i've been sending a few emails and contacting a few bands......

so his is in general how its going

so originals bands....well these guys are usually desperate for someone and no audition, so i have a listen to their material and mmmmm....its hard to really like some of this stuff, i can see one person has written it and it all has the same intro and progressions etc, its hard to get interested in originals material unless it really has energy...and grabs you

ok next, the blues guys, doing the old blues from the 50s and 60s playing in their back yard for fun....been looking for a bass player for months....i cant go there unless i hit my 70s or something and have nothing else to do

then theres the guy trying to pull something together, usually a vocalist, so you contact them, they have nothing up to see how good they are and no vision of what their band makeup is going to be....so you suggest something like why dont you do this etc.. and you never hear back from them....

so next is the semi pro guys, 50 or so songs up on their web site but have no drummer or bass player....seems they walked for some reason. So you ask a few questions about the band and because you are not falling over yourself to get on board you get ignored....

so next..and on i go...

2. bluewine

bluewine Banned

You immediately recognized that that the people you spoke with had nothing to offer. That's usually what 90% of ads are.

The good opportunities are rarely advertised.

Go out and see some of the bands you like and network, you never know. Their bass player might be leaving.

Send an email to a few of the larger agencies and ask if any of their bands are looking.

Blue

3. Icey101

Icey101

yeh you're right....mmmmm

4. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

I agree with Blue that 90% of what's advertised is crap. But my response would be, if you want to play and don't have anything else going, check them out anyway. An originals project might be crap but maybe the guitarist is really good and six months later, after it crashes and burns, he's in a new band that needs a bassist and calls you up. The old blues guys jamming in their backyard might be just weekend drinking buddies and never going to gig, but they might be guys who used to gig all the time and retired from it but still have lots of contacts.

Keep playing, keep meeting people, and eventually something will come together. But if you give up and only play in your bedroom it never will.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

I'ts all about time and finding the right band that fits you. Often when we are "bandless" we push to find a gig..any gig and it leads to issues and wasted time.

Try posting your own ad and taking your time to network and look for the next band or musicians to perform with. In the time you are looking enjoy life and practice.

7. craig.p

craig.p Supporting Member

Yep. I've found myself making that mistake from time to time.

The best way never to find the band that's right for you is to keep joining bands you know deep down will never be right for you.

8. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

I would definitely post your own ad. Try www.bandmix.com as well. I've had some successes there. Most of the bands that I've been in, they've contacted me.

It is true that most of what you're going to either contact or hear from is crap. Either you won't like the music, won't gel with the people, or they don't have their stuff together and it's just a huge waste of time.

It helps to know what you're looking for, either stylistically, goal wise, and especially personality wise. Know what you want so that you can weed people out right away.

I guess I've been lucky. Every time I try to find a band it gets easier. I was in a band for about a year and a half and when that ended, it took me about 8 months to find another. That band lasted for 2 years and I made some great lasting friendships. I found the next band about a month and a half later, and that one lasted for about a year. I found the band after that 3 days later and it's looking like a really great fit.

Just keep at it. You'll find the right thing.

9. bluewine

bluewine Banned

"Find the band that fits you"

This has been my signature talking point for a long time.

So many guys get discouraged with playing in bands because of bad band experiences. Usually it's their own fault.

They didn't define for themselves what they want or require out of band, probably didn't do their homework on the band and ignored red flags. I know because I'm guilty of this myself. I played in originals bands when I'm not a match for the traditional originals band model.

Blue

10. bluewine

bluewine Banned

+1

Dead on point fourstring!

This is exactly what I have been talking about regarding some sort of general methodology any guy should use when scouting out a new opportunity.

What are my requirements, what am I looking for in band.

Don't even look or approach opportunities until you have these questions answered.

blue

11. drpepper

drpepper Supporting Member

As far as opportunities, I think timing...more specific luck in timing is one key, and you simply can't control that.

I decided to leave the band I had been in for almost 3 years (over mounting outlook differences), and a main difficulty I had in making the decision was that I didn't know what I'd be facing in terms of downtime, and when there wasn't a specific point of friction, I was having a good time.

But I jumped and got lucky. It worked out to be about two weeks. The timing just worked.

There are all kinds of opportunities that come about in "legitimate" ways. The band I found is doing a format re-tool and the previous bass player wanted to keep playing hard rock. That created an opening that doesn't have any pitfalls for someone (in this case, me) who likes direction of the band, gigging frequency, etc.

Leaving the band I was in created an opening; possibly the perfect fit for a person with the right personality and outlook match.

These kind of situations happen all the time...people move, job requirements change, family situations change, interests change, etc.

With some luck you'll be there at the right time.

So, good luck with it.

12. Russell L

Russell L

Most of my bands over the years have found me. I think it's because I have been "out there" playing. Go to jams and sit in, meet folks, rub elbows---that is, get known.

13. Itzayana

Itzayana

So very true!

14. delta7fred

delta7fred

+1

Get out there and get your name known, you may be available (and possibly the best bassist in your area) but it is no good if only you know it.

15. kevibass

kevibass

hey mate,
    head up, you're a bassist! 50% of the rhythm section.
    practice, got to open jams, network as you can.
    AND...stay positive, get out and excercise some,
    from OZ?been there, LOVE IT!
    you're one of the blessed, one of the bassists! hear the foundation! BE the foundation!
    come on man, things will change and transform for the better.
    good luck,
    Kevin.

16. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

17. Flyingfrets

Flyingfrets

Sound advice.

"The good opportunities are rarely advertised." True. One of our guitar players gave notice the first week of September. We did not advertise the vacancy because...

"Send an email to a few of the larger agencies and ask if any of their bands are looking." We just mentioned what happened to our contact with the agency we book through and he put us in touch with a guitar player from a band they were also handling (they were playing their final shows as a band at the end of September).

So far so good. Chops, attitude, work ethic all there.