1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

I'm getting a banjo for christmas!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by stingray2112, Dec 12, 2012.

1. stingray2112

stingray2112

I just thought I would share this with the talkbass community. I'm pretty excited about this. Does anyone have any advice for a beginner banjo player?
  2. Musiclogic

Musiclogic

Disclosures:
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Go slow, learn the style you want to play then start working. There are a few different ways to play Banjo, so if you have a plan to be a finger picker, start practicing fundamental finger work, see Youtube for different examples of playing styles. Have fun with it.
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    At least it's not an accordion.
  4. Thick McRunfast

Thick McRunfast Supporting Member

You were a very bad boy this year huh?
  5. ricobasso

ricobasso

And you won't have to bother with tuners any more :D
  6. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

4 strings, right?
    Must be like a bass.
    Listen to Bela Fleck.
  7. ntenny

ntenny

Keep your sense of humor, and practice when no one else is home! (On the other hand, if anyone else *is* home, practicing will probably make them go away, so never mind that.)

I play a (very) little bit of banjo; it's a fun instrument to mess around with and not terribly hard to get a basic vocabulary on. Work out some chords from first principles, then concentrate on keeping that right hand going evenly.

When you've had some luck with standard tuning, try "sawmill" tuning, with the B string raised to a C. It has a rather eerie, harmonically "open" sound to it; to me it sounds like the tonic has a question mark on it.

You can use it to enable GAS on other instruments. "Dear? Should I get another bass, do you think, or another...BANJO???"

-NT
  8. kreider204

kreider204 Supporting Member

9. low2groove

low2groove Tyranis 4 / Lower Groove Guitars Supporting Member

I can cut a nut for you so the bass strings will fit perfectly.
    Think of it as a short scale bass! Lol!
  10. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

A lot of banjos have 5 strings from what I've seen. The 5th string is shorter and its tuner is attached to the neck. What is "standard" banjo tuning? I seem to remember it's tuned to a G chord. I think 4 string banjos are tuned to 5ths like CGDA or GDAE.
  11. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

For my favorite use of banjo in a an ensemble check out Bela Fleck, Edgar Meyer, and Zakir Hussein's the Melody Of Rhythm. Banjo, double bass, and tablas.
  12. dalkowski

dalkowski

She'll put down a deposit on a new Fodera.
  13. ntenny

ntenny

Yeah, the typical modern banjo is a 5-string, but there have been a lot of variations over the years. It was the standard popular stringed instrument for a few decades there, before the guitar took over, so there was lots of opportunity for innovation.

There are a bunch of tunings, but the one most people would call "standard" is an open G chord.

-NT
  14. fraublugher

fraublugher

Shenanigans!
  15. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME! Supporting Member

The thread title should begin like this: :help:
  16. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick Supporting Member

Wow...lotsa banjo hate here! I love my banjo. Nobody else does, but I do :)

Good luck and enjoy it...they are terrific fun.
  17. Biggbass

Biggbass

I've been playing 5 string banjo since 1968 and currently have several banjos. My #1 is a Gibson RB4 but I also have other Gibsons, a couple of Hubers, Yates RS, & Osborne Chief and have owned a couple of Stellings. The best advice I can give you is to find a teacher who teaches bluegrass 3 finger picking and start from the beginning. You'll probably start out on civil war era songs, learning to pick with the thumb and one finger, then incorporate the 3rd finger in as you get it down. You'll learn the basic rolls and learn to read banjo tab at the same time. Once you learn the basics of 3 finger picking you can incorporate that into any style of music you like to play. And if you already have finger picking skills on guitar you'll progress quickly on the banjo. Here's a banjo secret: Although there are dozens of banjo tunings, 3 dominant tunings, The 5 string banjo, in it's most common tuning, is tuned to what is also Kieth Richards open G tuning on guitar. So if you've got the open G guitar thing down, then you've already got the chording for banjo in the vault and you just need to learn and get good at the right hand technique and scales. Virginia probably has some good teachers so you're in the right territory.