I'm gonna do it...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ToneMonkey, Feb 6, 2014.

1. ToneMonkey

ToneMonkey

I'm in my 48th year playing music. For the entire time, acquiring and upgrading gear has been part of the experience. I'm just tired of that noise in my life.

I'm too blessed already. I own multiple really good instruments, great amplification. What I really need to do is learn to play what I already have better.

So unless a piece of gear actually fails in some way that it cannot be repaired, I'm not going to buy any new gear in calendar year 2014. Just strings.

2. waynobass

waynobass Supporting Member

I thought you were going to say, for the rest of your life. Just this year? Piece of cake.

And there's always January 1, 2015.

3. bassinplace

bassinplace

4. Auguste

Auguste

A valentine's resolution to your wife/girlfriend/boyfriend?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. VeganThump

VeganThump

I too have recently decided to rein in the GAS AND hit the books so to speak. I have been steadily working on scales, modes, arpeggios, etc. Honestly, practicing and seeing improvement in my playing feels better than any kind of gear acquisition.

7. ToneMonkey

ToneMonkey

I bought a new mic today.

I started taking vocal lessons and one of the first things my teacher advised me to do was ditch my SM57 and get a Sennheiser e835. In his opinion SM57s and SM58s are dull sounding, whereas the Sennheiser e835 has a bit of emphasis around 3Khz, which is exactly where vocals (especially male vocals) need it. He pretty much proved that to me in ProTools, using one of my demo tracks.

8. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U Banned

I bought my Distillate a little over a years ago. I'll never own another bass, no way.

9. ZenG

ZenG

I'd keep the Shure 57's and 58's and just tweak 'em through an equalizer when laying down vocals...

I have both those mikes and that's what I've always done......works like a charm...

I HAVE to eq my voice anyway as I sound like I'm singing with a pillow over my face............