1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

im having alittle trouble strumming my bass

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Flounder102Bass, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Flounder102Bass

Flounder102Bass

Jul 6, 2008
    im not for sure whats wrong with my fingers but i need someone whos professonal at bass who can give me the answer. well about a few years ago i was playing good i didnt pay atention to my strum fingers cause i was focusing on learning how to play blues untill now i just wanna make sure my strumming fingers are in the right position please help im losing my mind :confused:

2. fearceol

fearceol Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
  3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. If you mean like open handed strumming for chords or whatnot, I've always looked to claypool.

5. +1

6. ^ +1 aswell. I never learned my strumming technique for him, but after I figured out whats comfortable for me I noticed he does almost the same.

7. ffutterman

ffutterman Talentless Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

May 7, 2010
    Philadelphia
    +1

For me, it's using the back of your nails on the downstroke (E to G string) and the very tip of your fingers on the upstroke (G to E string). I think most people use index + middle fingers to do it.

EDIT: This guy has a decent, clear shot of it:

Off the top of my head, Groundhog's Day and Last Salmon Man are two very strum-happy songs from the Primus catalog.