1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

im having alittle trouble strumming my bass

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Flounder102Bass, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Flounder102Bass

Flounder102Bass

im not for sure whats wrong with my fingers but i need someone whos professonal at bass who can give me the answer. well about a few years ago i was playing good i didnt pay atention to my strum fingers cause i was focusing on learning how to play blues untill now i just wanna make sure my strumming fingers are in the right position please help im losing my mind :confused:
  2. fearceol

fearceol

3. WokenDeer

WokenDeer

If you mean like open handed strumming for chords or whatnot, I've always looked to claypool.
  4. keiththebassist

keiththebassist

+1
  5. nickrs540

nickrs540

^ +1 aswell. I never learned my strumming technique for him, but after I figured out whats comfortable for me I noticed he does almost the same.
  6. ffutterman

ffutterman Talentless Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

+1

For me, it's using the back of your nails on the downstroke (E to G string) and the very tip of your fingers on the upstroke (G to E string). I think most people use index + middle fingers to do it.

EDIT: This guy has a decent, clear shot of it:

Off the top of my head, Groundhog's Day and Last Salmon Man are two very strum-happy songs from the Primus catalog.