I'm having this problem...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Pills Are Yummy, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Pills Are Yummy

Pills Are Yummy

I wear my bass low. Not too low, but pretty dang low, like crotch level (see attachment)

Criticize me all you want, on top of being in a metal band, I just can't stand the look of wearing a bass high. To me, I might as wear my pants up to my armpits...but I digress

The real problem is that I play with a pick, and it gets hard to play lines fast on the A, D, and G strings (I play 4 strings). I just can't get a good picking angle in. It's really challenging because I like to have my pick parallel to the strings, and I hate that "scratchy" sound you get from an angled pick. This gives me two options when playing: hold the bass almost completely parallel to the ground, making it harder to fret, or to deal with the scratchy noise (and for some reason I can't get any pick attack, my picking hand just feels weaker??)

Please help, I just want to be the best bassist I can

Attached Files:

2. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

[DEL]Flatwounds will solve all your problems[/DEL]

Nevermind that, how do you pick? From your wrist or from the arm, punk style (I see that a lot...)?
  3. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

Let's see... You like to wear your bass low, and refuse to raise it, but you're also complaining about not being able to effectively reach the (physically) lower strings...
    What would you like me to say?
  4. Stormer

Stormer

Wear the bass higher, not necessarily up at your armpits, just a bit higher.
    Your technique will improve and in years to come your wrists will thank you.

You may prefer the look of a low slung bass, but image should not be your primary concern. Like many I started playing with my bass low but over the years as my playing improved, the bass moved higher. To me its my playing that matters and not how cool I may or may not look.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. VeganThump

VeganThump

Yeah I mean come on man, your bass is a musical instrument not a fashion accessory.
  7. tekdiver500ft

tekdiver500ft I'm your Huckleberry... Supporting Member

Media:
    Try playing with the strings at your belt. This is (IME) high enough to alleviate all your troubles without being high enough to look stupid for your genre.
  8. VeganThump

VeganThump

I'm sorry I didn't mean to be harsh but it just seems a little silly to me, if you're not able to effectively play your instrument because of how your holding it, change how you are holding it, end of story.
  9. gavinspoon

gavinspoon

If you can play on the E string no problem, then bringing it up just a couple of inches should be enough. It's a small enough change that it won't be that noticable. There's also the old guitarist trick of lifting up your right leg and supporting your bass on that.

Whatever you do, be careful. I have carpel tunnel and it's not fun.
  10. fearceol

fearceol

Then drop the vanity, and do whatever it takes to play the bass as efficiently and as comfortably as possible, i.e. wear the bass a bit higher.
  11. tsverrir

tsverrir

I think it all comes down to if you really like playing bass or if you just like the way it looks on you.
  12. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    +1

I wear my bass about waist level and can reach everything very easily. You should wear your bass where you are most comfortable.
  13. fearceol

fearceol

+1.
  14. Plays_For_Dog

Plays_For_Dog

Crowd doesn't give a sh*t about where your bass is. They just want metal. Please the crowd and deliever the best you can. If that means wearing your bass perpendicular to your belt buckle, then rock it.
  15. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Might as well ask the question whether the crowd gives 'a sh*t' whether there's bass in the mix or not... :bag:

Don't listen to these common sense guys, pantomime your way through it and sling it as low as you can. At the end of the night everyone will commend you on your playing, especially the band - they never sounded as good!
  16. Vincent P

Vincent P Supporting Member

Have to agree with the masseses, bring the bass higher.
  17. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Supporting Member

[​IMG]

I'll bet no one ever told this guy his bass is too high...
  18. fearceol

fearceol

I was under the impression that this thread was about what the OP wanted, i.e. "to be the best bassist that I can".....not what the crowd wants. :confused:

They want music, not vanity.
  19. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

That's because he plays four string guitar 'doh!

Just having a little tongue in cheek fun here... thought that was obvious? :ninja:

If he totally does not want to sling it higher, I would recommend a change in technique... or deal with it, in the end he has to decide on whether he goes with the thread consensus or not. IMO he should wear it higher. As one of my guitar playing friends once said, it won't look as dorky as one thinks it does!
  20. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    +1. In ten years, you won't think the same way, when the wrist problems require surgery.

Raise the strap.
  21. fearceol

fearceol

Sorry, I obviously miss interpreted you post. :)