1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

I'm "In Demand" (Long Post)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by GKon, Dec 14, 2013.

1. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom Supporting Member

;)

From when I moved to Greece in 2009 up until the beginning of 2013, I pretty much focused on building up my business, trying to establish myself so that I could make a living. (I won't get into the economy collapsing a few months after I got here. That's another story). That didn't leave me any time or energy to focus on playing with or forming a band. During that time, I did play some bass at home, but also started learning how to play the bouzouki, as they are very accessible here and relatively low cost as compared to the States.

A little after the beginning of 2013, I was asked if I was interested in playing bass for a local cover band. I wasn't sure if I could swing it in regards to time and energy. It ends up that I could :hyper: I found myself having a blast, enjoying playing in a band again, playing some shows, etc.

During my time with them, I was also asked to lead sing (and play bass) as their current lead singer/rhythm guitarist, well, couldn't sing. He was quite upset when the rest of the band asked me to step in. So much so that he created enough drama that the band knuckled under, asking him to "sing" lead again. At that point I told that band that with him on the mic, we weren't bound to go anywhere, and said my goodbyes. That was last May.

Since May, I've gone through the steps of forming a new cover band of my own, whose main goal is to play out and make money, considering the band as a second job (for anyone interested, you can follow the saga here http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f67/first-day-forming-new-band-1011658/ ) We've, for now, settled into being a 3 piece: Me on bass and lead vocals, 1 guitarist/backup vocals, drummer. After 2 months of rehearsing, the drummer decided to leave for "personal reasons", mainly so he could focus on his other band. We've since gotten a replacement drummer and are about 1 month away from booking our first show.

Well, I got a call from the drummer of the 1st band I was in (the one with the issues with the lead singer). He called to apologize to let me know that the singer, being his friend for the last 20 years, was giving him such a hard time that he felt he had to make a decision and, I being the new guy, was pushed into the position of deciding to leave. He apologized for his behavior, which I found very big of him. I could understand his position.

Furthermore, he admitted that I was right in my opinion of the band going nowhere with the current singer in that they recently got a manager who has the ability to book them as an opening act for a well known band that is a favorite of mine (I won't mention names at the moment) but ONLY if they get rid of the singer as he can't sing. (To be totally honest, if feels great having been vindicated). I then promptly told him that if he and the rest of the band was interested, I'd be happy and willing to sing for them (and not play bass, as they already have a bass player since I left). I would be OVERJOYED to get to sing with them and open for the aforementioned headlining act.
    Now, it may be a long shot in that, if they keep the singer in the role of rhythm guitarist, he will most likely do everything in his power, including threatening to quit, if I sing again.

Let's see what happens.

Then, today, I got a call from the drummer who left from the band I've formed telling me their singer and their bass player have both had to leave the band (to attend school) and wondered if I'd be interested in playing bass and sing for them.
    I told them I am interested but as long as it doesn't interfere with my full time work or with my band. We are going to sit down and have a chat with the band and me to see if our schedules and personalities match. If so, I will then audition for them. I made sure to mention to him the VERY slight possibility of my possibly singing with the 1st band.

The main point of the story is that I'm thrilled to be playing and singing again and, it seems, in the little time I've been at it again, I've made some connections and good impressions on other musicians to the point that they have me in mind for projects. It feels good! :hyper:

Sorry for the long post and thanks for your time.

- Kon
  2. GKon

No input or responses. I guess I'm not so "in demand" in TB, hahahahah.
    Just joking, of course.
  3. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Well seems like you got a lot on your plate - and that's great if that's your thing. I would be overwhelmed! Must feel good to be popular though.
  4. GKon

Hi Nashrakh,

At the moment, I've only got 1 band going and my regular work.
    As for the others, it all remains to be seen if it will happen, and if I can juggle the time.

In essence, I need to make more money and playing music is the only thing that easily fits in with my schedule (I work evenings. It's tough to work a day and a night job. most gigs are in the evening, so it works out).

Mainly I'm just very happy to have these opportunities popping up since I've started focusing on my bass playing and singing again.

Thanks for your comments.
  5. GKon

Well, I was sent the setlist from the band my previous drummer is in, who asked me to audition as bass/singer. Honestly, I'm not into the songs they are playing, at all.
    OUt of 20 songs, I like 4, maybe 5.

Although I enjoy challenges, and I don't want to burn any bridges, at the same time, I would much rather devote my time to my band, getting us ready for performing and being as good as we can be, than splitting my time between my band, and a band whose music I don't like very much, simply for the challenge and to not burn a bridge.

I'm sure I can let them know thanks but I'm not interested, without it being negative for them.
  6. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

Nice feeling, isn't it?
  7. GKon

Yeah, it sure is.

What I'm finding really satisfying is, due to my working nights, and not having much of an income so going out during the day is not much of an option, I spend most of my day at home, practicing bass, working on theory, relearning to sight read, playing songs, experimenting. Also working on my singing (although, the last few months I was plagued by tonsil issues. I finally had them taken out 4 weeks ago. It's getting much better and easier to sing). After the new year, I will be working with a vocal coach as well as a bass teacher.

It's great that my focusing on playing music again is producing some results. More so, I wasn't even thinking that it would, other than playing with a band. It's nice that there is some networking going on.