1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Im Looking for a new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stallion Duck, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Stallion Duck

Stallion Duck

Hello
    Im getting a new bass for birthday/christmas. Im wondering what you guys recommend. Currently I'm using a 76' Ricknbacker through a orange 250watt (or something).
    I love my ricky but I'm looking for something new. I was looking at the Epiphone thunderbird IV 5 string in sunburst. (opinions)
    I play everything from Beatles to Lamb of God (I'm a school of rock student) so I'm looking for a classic looking versatile 5 string.

Any other ideas.

P.S. I'm looking for a five string
  2. ArvindJayaram

ArvindJayaram

Lot of options, Stallion_Duck. Try out all the models you can. Figure out what kind of string spacing you want in a fiver. Decide whether you want something active or passive. Do a little online comparison of your short-listed models. Best of luck kid!
    - Jimmy Rage
  3. Wallace320

Wallace320

I own the IV sunburst version, I play it a full step downtuned and put a Hipshot GB7 bass extender, so that I can nearly reach the lows of a regularly tuned Thunderbird V...
    Finishings are outstanding for its price, especially in the sunburst version. Soapbars are powerful and versatile even with a two only band equalizer. I beat the hell out of it, but still can manage a proper slap tone with sufficient highs. But as you certainly know, neckthru body with mahogany wings best offering is midrange: you cut each and every bandmix with ease.

Cheers,
    Wallace
  4. benthughes

benthughes Supporting Member

I'd recommend something with a P/J setup, take your pick. Another good bet would be a Musicman Stingray/Sterling in your flavor. You've already got a rock machine that should cover all of your bases, look for something that'll offer something different tonally... Musicman would fit that bill while still retaining a classic look.

That being said , thunderbirds are badass so get a Spector!