1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Im Looking for a new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stallion Duck, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Stallion Duck

Stallion Duck

Hello
    Im getting a new bass for birthday/christmas. Im wondering what you guys recommend. Currently I'm using a 76' Ricknbacker through a orange 250watt (or something).
    I love my ricky but I'm looking for something new. I was looking at the Epiphone thunderbird IV 5 string in sunburst. (opinions)
    I play everything from Beatles to Lamb of God (I'm a school of rock student) so I'm looking for a classic looking versatile 5 string.

Any other ideas.

P.S. I'm looking for a five string

2. ArvindJayaram

ArvindJayaram

Lot of options, Stallion_Duck. Try out all the models you can. Figure out what kind of string spacing you want in a fiver. Decide whether you want something active or passive. Do a little online comparison of your short-listed models. Best of luck kid!
    - Jimmy Rage

3. Wallace320

Wallace320

I own the IV sunburst version, I play it a full step downtuned and put a Hipshot GB7 bass extender, so that I can nearly reach the lows of a regularly tuned Thunderbird V...
    Finishings are outstanding for its price, especially in the sunburst version. Soapbars are powerful and versatile even with a two only band equalizer. I beat the hell out of it, but still can manage a proper slap tone with sufficient highs. But as you certainly know, neckthru body with mahogany wings best offering is midrange: you cut each and every bandmix with ease.

Cheers,
    Wallace

4. benthughes

benthughes

I'd recommend something with a P/J setup, take your pick. Another good bet would be a Musicman Stingray/Sterling in your flavor. You've already got a rock machine that should cover all of your bases, look for something that'll offer something different tonally... Musicman would fit that bill while still retaining a classic look.

That being said , thunderbirds are badass so get a Spector!

5. Register to disable this ad