1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

I'm new here and i need some advice on a purchase

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by TracyJacks, Nov 16, 2013.

1. TracyJacks

TracyJacks

Hey there, I'm about to start a serious band and am about to purchase my first serious setup, i had my eye on a 900W warwick cabinet and a 750W line6 head.

I recently heard a bunch of stuff about underpowering and how it can blow up all sorts of stuff, so i was wondering if my setup looks appropriate to you seasoned guys.
    Your advice will be very usefull.
    Thanks.

2. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Underpowering is a myth.

900w cabs generally take half of that before they start distorting.

Read the amps sticky.

3. bassmeknik

bassmeknik

+1 all true

4. dincz

dincz

Just make sure you never turn off your amp and never stop playing.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Post #2 covers it pretty well. Especially the last point re: the Stickies.

7. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

You can't damage a speaker by under powering it. Think about it - if that were true, just turning off the power to a speaker could damage it - so that's just a twisted myth.

BTW: why do you need so much amp/cab - where are you working at, amphitheaters, stadiums, etc? I hope you're not planning to drag all that into tiny little dive bars.

8. TracyJacks

TracyJacks

Oh thanks, i guess i was also wondering if that would be good for gigs.
    oh and if you are familiar with that amp or cab can you telll me if they are quality? because they seem a little too cheap to be true

the cab is a WARWICK WCA611PRO 4 OHM 6 X10+H 900W
    And the amp is just called a LINE 6 LOWDOWN 750W BASS HEAD

as you can see i am clueless so, yeah go to town

9. TracyJacks

TracyJacks

Also uhh...what are stickies? :/

10. Dave W

Dave W Previously bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

11. Schpector

Schpector

This will be an awesome setup.

More power and volume than you will probably ever need.

Underpowering isn't real.

/thread

12. MontanaBassDude

MontanaBassDude

You'll enjoy this rig/power. Enjoy the thump, and remember the volume controls are your friend.
    BTW, pay no attention to those who look down their nose and ask "why do you need so much power?" Oldsters in this forum are sure they're bass gods, and know better than everyone else.
    My humble opinion; "why drive a car with four cylinders, when a one-banger will get you there, too." Have fun with your wattage.
    (Hear what I say, because I'm a god.)

13. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

As long as you can tote it, afford it, and like the sound then I say go for it. You may want to do a little research to determine reliability, though. This holds true for any unknown.

Riis

14. shaft311

shaft311

I'd start with a 2x10 or 2x12 of the Avatar/Eden/Mark Bass variety before you jump into a 6x10 cab. You'll hate hauling it. Seriously. Buy used, and if you need more, sell and then buy bigger.

With amps, go with what sounds best for what you're playing. Have you played through the Line 6 yet?

The last larger venue (4k+ capacity) I played, 4x10 and an SVT4 at about 50% was all that was required. It was outdoors too. The big sound is Front of House's responsibility

If you're playing places without front of house where your bass rig IS the house, this changes the discussion completely.

15. Cirk

Cirk

Does your band have a PA that can handle delivering the low end? If not, your amp will be doing the heavy lifting. If you have a PA for heavy lifting, make sure your amp has a good DI output so you can connet to it easily. At that point, your amp is really a stage monitor and you won't need such a heavy, powerful rig. Any way you do it, try out everything available to you and buy used. As for tone, ignore the labels and let your ears and budget be the judge.

16. wmheilma

wmheilma

A 6x10 cab is great! Mine stays home a lot though. I typically use a little 4x8 cab for indoor club dates. I have not used a Line 6 head, but I do have a pod for practicing. My preference is to use a Genz head with ample power and keep the effects separate. Then you can vary the effects you bring along if you need any.

17. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

The real question is "where do you expect to use this rig?" 750 watts into a 6x10 is a lot of power. If you're playing your average bar or small venue you're going to find yourself keeping the volume at about 1 or 2 all the time, and will have spent a lot of money you didn't need to. If you're going to play big theaters, stadiums, outdoors, whatever, OK then, but in big places you'll normally have PA support to do the heavy lifting. I generally find 200 watts in a 2x10 or 1x15 to cover my needs, but that's me. You might try something smaller before spending a pile of money.

18. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Some of the locals would be crying lack of power with that rig all the same. The ones playing super loud and lacking PA. It's all about context.

A serious band could be anything. Some very serious bands play seriously loud with no amps on stage at all! Seriously!