1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

i'm not sure how i feel about this

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HelpImaRock, Aug 6, 2013.

1. HelpImaRock

HelpImaRock

[​IMG]

in theory, it's cool. i dig Precision pickups. the Jazz shape and neck is more ergonomic. but something about it just rubs me the wrong way and i don't know why.
  2. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

what i want to know is what the hell has fender got against Maple boards?...lol

if that had a maple board and a P width Neck i would Rock it no problem!
  3. FourBanger

FourBanger

But wait until you hear one. They are thunderous.
  4. troy mcclure

troy mcclure Supporting Member

I think the J pickups are what define a J bass. Therefor this is not a J bass in my eyes. Oddly enough they put the double J pickups on the Blacktop P. I tool am a huge fan of a maple boards.
  5. Bassic Playing

Bassic Playing

I think it looks cool. I have to wonder though: To people who have experience with these, how much does a jazz with a p pup differ in sound to a regular p?
  6. HelpImaRock

HelpImaRock

and, how much does the second pickup change the sound of the first?
  7. Rusty G String

Rusty G String

It's a P P bass! I like the idea of a single P pup on a jazz body with a jazz neck. Do they make one like that? I don't like the P body or neck. I can't see this being more versatile than a P/J setup, but I'm curious. It just don't look right.
  8. darkstorm

darkstorm

Fender should have offered that configuration long long ago. Nice.
  9. dirtbeard

dirtbeard

Is the neck pickup in the normal P spot?

-db
  10. og61pbass

og61pbass

its Fenders way to bastardize a classic instrument and for the pbass also that has the double j pups...:bag:
  11. EXILE03

EXILE03

The closest thing to it is the Mark Hoppus signature, which has a reversed P pickup, no tone pot, and a P neck.
  12. Mark4

Mark4 Supporting Member

Nope. It's closer to the neck.
  13. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    It's obvious the problem is no tort.
  14. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Too true, tattoo! This bass is an absolute cannon!!

I did a side-by-side test of one last year. I plugged in a Squier Jazz like one I'd previously owned, noodled around to "remember" it's sound. Then I tried out the Blacktop Jazz…and I did a double-take. I was literally agog for a few seconds at the sheer aggression coming off this bass. :eek:

Less than six months later, I traded in an old Squier during Guitar Centers trade-in expo and got a helluva discount on my first brand-new bass (everything I ever had before was used, up until then). Got it factory-direct from Fender, un-boxed it and had it set-up right there…or I would've, if it had even needed it. They tech just adjusted the string height a bit and didn't charge me a thing. Then I tested it out…

Remember that "double take" I mentioned? The same thing happened to someone halfway across the show floor. Shortly after he came over to take a look for himself. We both knew I had something special there. :hyper:

If you're wondering if the bridge pickup has much/any impact, I gotta say, "Hell yeah!" When you solo the neck pickup, you get a classic, or pretty damn close to classic, Precision bass sound. But when you start adding the bridge in, you get a sound that another TB'er called "Jazz bass on steroids" sound, which is a pretty good assessment. It's growly, a little crunchy and, like FourBanger says, thunderous.

As far as looks go, I also though it needed a little something…some pizzaz, something to make it a little more "Me!" (yeah…if you've seen me rant about this before, you know what's coming) So I swapped out the chrome screws for black ones and carefully attacked the white pinstripe of the pickguard with a red Sharpie permanent marker…and violá!

[​IMG]

It was only after the fact that I realized, as many others have commented as well, that it looks very reminiscent of the '60s Batmobile, or as drummer5359 called it; The Adam West Signature Edition. And y'know what? I'm cool with that! :D
  15. 1stnamebassist

1stnamebassist

I may have to check one of these out! Looks like it would sound killer!
  16. Major Softie

Major Softie

I think I know why. Something about it just feels like a great Photoshop paste-up.
  17. Snakeman1066

if it had a maple board or a maple board with blocks i would own one....seriously what has fender got against maple boards?...lol or matching head-stocks for that matter?
  18. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I don't think they have anything against them. Maybe they just want you to work for it?

http://www.fender.com/store/necks/
  19. HelpImaRock

HelpImaRock

that's part of it. i think my desire to mod it even before trying it is also keeping me away. who knows what you'll find on CL for stupid cheap though. :bag:
  20. Snakeman1066

lol if you look through their catalog you will see many more rosewood boards than maple..

they should offer an either/or option from the factory...

that or a trade in plan...lol