I'm scared

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I haven't had any serious gas for a new bass in about 6 months. This is the first time in my adult life that I've gone that long, and I'm not sure what to make of it. I LOVE my Big Al, and when that's not out with me it's either my Bongo or my antigua Jazz which I've also fallen deeply in love with. I have a Stingray and a Sterling that aren't getting enough play time cuz all my gigs are going to the above mentioned basses, and I've got about 4 other basses including a couple of Warwicks that I really want to take out with me, but don't. If I buy any other bass, I know it will only sit at home. I search the classifieds, go through the basses forum, catalogs, even visit stores... nothing excites me anymore. At all. I'm scared. Has anyone ever experienced this before, and if so, how long can I expect it to last. Help. I'm feeling desperate. I want to want a new bass.

2. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

I haven't bought a bass since 2006, but last year I bought a NS NXT ... and I started to want a EBMM Bongo and sell, keep the NXT and sell everything else and be done with it.

So maybe I will want a new bass in 6 or 7 years.

I just think it is better to have one bass and work with it, bound with it than have too many basses that doesn,t have any value.

I have a yamaha that my father bought me 2 years before I went to college ... during college ( 3 years ) it was my only bass to learn ... so I bound with it, I did every style of music with it ... I learn everything I know with this bass.

so I must say ... I'm someone withtout GAS

3. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Relax dude, it's cool. You aren't thinking about acquiring more basses because you know that 'ol amp of yours needs replacin'.

:D

4. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Beat me to it. You've got your bases (basses) covered. Now it's time for the rig of doom.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bassmunnky

Bassmunnky

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball MusicMan Guitars
    Joe,

I hear ya.

You're just used to buyin' basses...every 2 or 3 years is my cycle..after my latest PDN Bongo 6 and Fender P V, well, I hate to say it, but what I have a I love and they love me back. I keep looking, then when I pick up them up...I forget about looking. The Bongo 6 is a pain in the ass..I got it to make my life harder, and it's working...but there's nothing better....I don't know what to say...other than NAMM is coming..hold on bud...Musicman is probably going to do another cool thing and you know...Fender is going to 'perfect' the Vintage Re-issue...

There is hope

7. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Just go with it. You are experiencing equilibrium.

8. meatwad

meatwad

My StingRay kept G.A.S. away for over a decade, from the day I bought it new.

9. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Not to worry, your GAS is in remission.

It will no doubt return one day. With a vengeance.

10. darkstorm

darkstorm

Why would you be scared about liking your gear enough that you no longer feel a constant need for soemthing new?

11. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 EBMM Nut Supporting Member

Sounds like you should hand over that Stingray or one of those Warwicks....

12. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard

Fear not! I put up a similar post not long ago. Still feel that way about basses. So I started buying AMPS. Now I feel better. Aaaaaah. All is well.

13. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I just bought a Line 6 Variax bass and it is a GAS killer this thing does so much I haven't touched any of my other basses besides my Hofner my GAS for basses has ended but my GAS for pedals lives on and I will never surrender.

14. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

Joe, it sounds like you have about nine basses. I can see why you don't have GAS. You listed four Music Man basses, two Warwicks, and a Jazz, plus two others you did not identify. It just might be that you have enough basses!:p

15. Immigrant

Immigrant

Basses are like crack. They tell you that you want to want them.

You have basses that you love and basses that aren't being played, and you want to want another. Assuming your bills are caught up and you eat right, maybe you should consider buying a few Squiers or Ibanezes and a cheap amp or two and find someplace to donate them to. Like a school or community center, Boys and Girls Club, etc.

Win/win.

16. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

It'll be back. It ALWAYS comes back. ;)

And since you verbalized it, it'll probably happen soon. I'm fairly bad about always buying and selling something. About a year ago I suddenly realized that I had gone about 8 months pretty much GAS free. Not long afterwards, I saw something that hit my hot button and the cycle was on again. Over the past 6 months I think I bought two and sold two.

Reminds me of Sil's line in The Sopranos: "Just when ya' think you're out..." :D

17. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Don't worry. When you get bored with nailing all the tones and sounding great something else will come up. Your ears will get bored and they will wonder.

18. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I knew you guys would help. 3 posts in and problem solved. :) I LOLed on this because I realized my gas had never gone anywhere... it's still there. Just shifted it's focus for the time being. I've been searching out the perfect mini rig for months now. Just been unable to pull the trigger on any till after the holidays.

I feel better. Much better. May pull the trigger on one of those mini carvin cabs soon. We'll see.

Mr. Cheese... I've got over 20 basses now. And I've weeded out all the gunk. Only left with basses I really like playing. Which is a big part of my not wanting anymore. I'm sad that I haven't enough gigs to play what I've got.

19. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz
    Joe, I own many basses, everyone gets a chance to the current favorite and usually what causes one to move to head of the pack is that I just forgot how really good it is.

I find that recordings really help you hear your bass in a way that playing them live does not and can not. It is the audiences perspective that puts a dose of reality into what we think we are hearing.

For example, my 75 p bass is a very unexciting sounding instrument when I am listening to my amp, on a gig or in my practice studio. I am always blow away how good the thing sounds in context of what the audience hears. As a result, I have become excited to hear the middy, kind of low fi sound I experience... what I hear on stage... because I know it sounds awesome in the mix and to the other musicians. It makes you fall in love all over again! ;)

20. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Count your blessings. Enjoy what you already have. You have the rare opportunity to free yourself from the endless cycle of always "wanting more" - IF you'll allow it to happen... :meh:

MM

21. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Anytime I want bass gear I look at what I am not using and use it for trades or sell it off to fund the next buy.