I'm such a dunderhead...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jazzonlyjazz, Sep 3, 2013.

1. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

So I was swapping pickguards on my American P since the white stock one looked fugly with 3 colour sunburst, as many would agree with me.

I was careful when taking off the volume and tone control pots as well as the output jack from the pickguard. Everything was fine until my body decided "oh hey you're handling something realllly delicate and fragile? Let's make your arms twitch violently" which it did and it caused me to snap the ground wire connected to the output jack sleeve. I don't have a soldering iron, solder, or wire strippers but I'm planning to get myself a set for future use.

I plan to take out the old solder and the wires stuck inside the pool of solder, strip off a few mm off the ground wire and connect THAT to the sleeve. Will the length of the ground wire affect whether the pickups will work or not? If that's the case, I may have to just buy some new ones and or go to my local high school's tech ed department and ask for some supplies. I could always take my bass there and do the soldering there too.

2. crobasster

crobasster

3. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

Any tips for resoldering? How much should I put on there? Do I have to heat up the sleeve BEFORE putting the solder on or something?

4. crobasster

crobasster

Sorry,i understood that you're talking about pot,now I realized that you are talking about jack sleeve,yes it would be better to take off the old solder and put the new nice and clean.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

No the length of the ground wire wont affect the sound at all. As long as its long enough to reach then you are good. As for soldering, clean off the old solder with a hot iron and a solder sucker. Pre tin your wire and the lug and melt them together. The joint should be shiny, not dull.