1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

I'm thinking of buying an inexpensive bass.... OPINIONS.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Q-Ban-Moe, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Q-Ban-Moe

Q-Ban-Moe Gold Supporting Member

Hey everyone,

Thinking of getting an inexpensive bass to toss around (sorta) my choices are:

A stock Fender Squier Modified Jazz bass

-OR-

A Spector Performer DLX (no longer made) with EMG-SSD stock pick-ups

All opinions AND schooling will be greatly appreciated ! :^)

Thanks in advance!

peace!

moe.

2. merejo_Herm

merejo_Herm

My Set Man Prefers to buy Cheap,then upgrade with the best hardware.
    It works!

3. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Call me Marc or Marky Potatoes. Gold Supporting Member

If it were a new Spector Performer (the Indonesian ones with the 5-piece necks), I would say it's tough, as I own the 5-string version and I like it a lot. However, since it's an older discontinued version, I say go with the Squier VM.

4. mikeddd

mikeddd Supporting Member

Hey Moe, how's "my Spector" doing? :D

What's your budget for this inexpensive bass? I own 3 SX basses and with roughly $50 worth of parts (copper shielding and new pots/jack) they play and sound as good as any MIM Fender. And MIM is much more expensive than most Squier's.

You can get any SX Jazz or P for less than $200, brand new. Most are around the $130+shipping pricepoint. Their higher-end Jazzes ("Pro line") have a heavy bridge and nice tuners to boot. Vs. their normal basses, the Pro line has:

High Mass Bridge for improved Sustain
    Improved - more accurate tuners
    Improved Pickups for better sound
    Pearloid Pickguard
    Hand filed frets

Honestly, the only problem I've ever encountered with mine was that the single coils are noisy as the stock bass has no shielding. $10 worth of copper tape and a few hours later and it's fixed. I've had zero probs with the tuners. Every once in awhile, one of the low-end basses have rough frets, but I've never had a problem and Kurt (Rondomusic owner) has a great return policy/customer service.

Example of their "high end" Jazz, which I've long thought about buying.

SX Ursa 2 MN PRO CAR at RondoMusic.com
    [​IMG]

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Q-Ban-Moe

Bro ! how are you doing ?
    That SPECTOR is still SA-WEEEEEET!!!!! I'm totally loving it!
    that other Spector I'm looking at is a Performer
    That according to PJ @ Spector Bass was a limited
    run with a black matte finish on the back of the neck.
    I kinda dug that. My budget is $300.00
    I've heard of SX but never played one.
    I'm kinda leaning towards the Spector because
    of the uniqueness of it and PJ replied with
    a very positive email about it. : )

Thanks for thinking of me brother

Blessings!

moe.

7. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

The new CV squiers are the bomb and my local shop just got in a few of the new LTD roadworns which are really nice for less than $400.00 bucks (US)

8. mikeddd

mikeddd Supporting Member

Glad to hear that you're loving the Spector. It needed some love as I didn't play it but a handful of times. :)

There's definitely a difference in vibe and sound b/t the Fender-clone SXs and Spectors. "Traditional look and sound, but cheap" is where SXs play. Good luck, Moe!

9. Gabriel51

Gabriel51

I played a Ibanez SR305 at GC the other day and really liked it.
    They are in that range with the discount they are always offering.

10. LucienBel

LucienBel

Those Squiers are awesome basses for the money. That's what I'd do personally.

11. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dang, that's hard to beat. I'm not a fan of the headstock but that is quite a nice looking bass for the money.

12. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

Nice Squier but I would go with the Spector. It's more unique being a discontinued model, and really if you choose to, you can sell it later on and it would still keep it's value or even make a little bit of additional money!
    Besides, the quality of Spector basses (even the cheaper ones) are still up there.
    The Squier will not hold it's value quite as well. Used prices will be low on these. Ursa looks pretty sweet though.

13. Q-Ban-Moe

Hey Max...

I was thinking exactly along those lines brother! :hyper:

I currently own 3 Spectors and the thought of a discontinued model might be a sweet addtion to the collection... even if it's a "lower end" model...

But like you mentioned, that even the "entry level" Spectors are pretty sweet in themselves and can hold their own...

Thanks for the input !

peace !

14. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

No problem Moe.
    I picked up a used Performer a few days ago that's supposed to come tomorrow. Unfortunately it doesn't have the cool black neck which looks great on these basses!
    Lol - laughing because I did try to look for a used DLX before your post (bought too many basses as of late to buy a brand new one- so was praying I could find one used but had no luck- so I can attest to it's desireability)
    Also had to resort to ordering the used Spector online because whenever one shows up on Craigslist in my area (Detroit), it gets picked up almost immediately. So it's a very much desired bass for good reason. IMO excellent choice.
    Cheers.

15. lowendfriend

lowendfriend Supporting Member

Douglas or Brice....also from RondoMusic.

16. evanatch

evanatch

When I was looking for my first 5-string, I played the Squier VM Jazz 5 and the Spector Performer DLX 5. I got the Spector and don't regret it a bit!

17. soulman969

soulman969

Spend a few bucks more than a VM and get a Squier CV Jazz. You can get them new for around $300 all day long when MF offers 15% off deals which is very often. Keep an eye out for a used one and you're looking at $200-$250.

All you'll need to do is put a different set of strings on it for about $20. The pickups and the electronics are fine as it comes. You'll love it. Personally I see no reason to buy a $200 bass and spend $100 plus on upgrading it when you can buy a better bass stock.

I paid $250 for mine with a case and all I've done is put a new set of strings on it and a different pickguard strictly for a cosmetic change. No new pickups, pots, tuners, bridge, control plate, knobs, ect, that I see guys buy when modding an inexpensive bass.

If you enjoy customizing a less expensive instrument fine but if not this one is very playable stock.

18. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

That really depends if the sound quality on an inexpensive bass appeals to you. when it comes to buying a bass, it really doesn't matter how much it costs...it all about personal taste in sound quality.

19. Batmensch

Batmensch

I have the VM Jazz and highly recommend it. Despite claims to the contary, The CV is not significantly better, and the VM does NOT need to be upgraded to be a good bass. Try both and see which one you like better, in the long run, that's the only real substantive difference between the two lines. (IMO).

20. JZQuantum

JZQuantum

Used Peavey Foundation...a great starter bass that you will keep forever.

21. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

A used Peavey Fury is my vote. No matter what else goes through my hands , I'll hang onto the US made Fury that I picked up for $125.