I'm Thinking of Staying in My Band

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by marmadaddy, Feb 12, 2014.

1. marmadaddy

marmadaddy

I am in a band and as you may have guessed, things are going really well.

It's a six piece classic rock cover band that's been putting together just the right lineup and rehearsing for a while now.

Everyone is a solid musician and I really like each of the guys personally. Punctuality isn't a problem, nor is alcohol. Rehearsals are productive and held in a great space. Everyone knows how to take and give constructive criticism. A couple of the guys are devout in their religious beliefs and everyone is polite and respectful about it.

We recently played our second show ever at the biggest, best paying club in the area and were booked again before we had finished packing up. The best agent in the area has picked us up. Did I mention that our set list is a lot of fun to play and the rest of the band respects my playing and no one tries to tell me what or how to play?

Based on everything I've read here this situation is completely workable and I think I could stay in it for as long as it lasts? So what should I do?
  2. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

boringggg! (please return when the poop hits the fan) ;)
  3. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

You should create some drama immediately. Some issue with the guitarist's cat, a pigeon, a cardboard box, and the drummer's wife is a start. Then make sure to back into the keyboard player's car one evening after rehearsal. Call everyone dooooood for a while after that and rub your eyes a lot.

That should be a start, but you can be creative and come up with new ones. It's easy. It's fun.
  4. Session1969

Session1969 Gold Supporting Member

I didn't see that this was in the humor section, at first. I was wondering what was wrong with you.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. waynobass

waynobass Supporting Member

It's a cover band, so quit and start a real band. :bag:
  7. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

If you ain't up to your eyes in drama, you ain't in a real band! First thing, pick out one of the dudes girls and start something with them. Second, tell one of the others you heard one of the others smack talking him. Last, quite being on time and prepared. These steps will add a lot more passion to your music...Seriously, I was in a 5 piece that was exactly the same. We all showed up on time. We all chipped in to do the work and we all prepared for every gig like it was make or break. We stayed together for 17 years! Enjoy it! Its a rare find, my friend.
  8. richntiff

richntiff

Hmm - this is a tough one. Have you tried talking politics? That's usually a pretty good one. If that doesn't work, declare that you think a Bieber/Cyrus collaboration would be "flippin' awesome". As a last resort, you may want to try ignoring personal hygiene for a couple weeks, or hitting on the drummer's wife........
  9. Beej

Beej

At your next gig, try setting up a music stand onstage...
  10. sparkyfender2

sparkyfender2

Show up with a 7 string bass and a pedalboard the size of a Samsonite......
  11. cableguy

cableguy

Or you could wear shorts on stage.......
  12. Beej

Beej

I dunno man, some thing are dangerous...like crossing the streams...
  13. xUptheIronsx

xUptheIronsx Conform or Be Cast Out.... Gold Supporting Member

I would tell the guitarist to "dumb it down...simplify...just play the roots"

Don't help with any of the load in/load out process, and show up right before you play....then put a bunch of drinks on the band tab before you play

tell the lead singer that you are going to take over certain songs cause you have "more of a feel for them"

that should just about do it....

oh yeah, demand a band dress code
  14. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

Fire the BL.
  15. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

16. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Try this, bring your girlfriend/wife to the next gig and say you want her to sit in and sing. <Yoko Ono>
  17. Slade N

Slade N Previously sizzle Supporting Member

are you really sure about this? maybe you should have a band meeting and kick everyone in the scotum and see everyone takes it first...then...demand that you become a polka country screamo band but everyone plays synths on an ipad
  18. Joebarnes

Joebarnes

Pretty sure its time to sleep with the female singer.
  19. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Wow. So many issues it's hard to know where to start, but here are a few suggestions based on my utter lack of experience with such situations:

1. If you try to deal with so many nonproblems all at once you'll be overwhelmed; you need to address them one at a time. Try making a list of all the things that you are pleased about, and rank them from best to least-best. Then start with the most-best item and try to figure out a way to screw it up. Note that it's very important that you not try to tackle the next item on the list until you're completely dissatisfied with the first one.

2. I'm sorry to be the one to have to tell you this, but if you're going to be in a successful cover band you are sometimes going to have to play songs you like. There's simply no way around this, so suck it up. If you really really really like all the songs, though, try talking to your bandmates about it: I'm sure that, if they knew how much it meant to you, they would be willing to ditch a couple of your favorite songs and replace them with tunes you at least mildly dislike. Even if you don't totally despise them, you might be surprised at how adding just a couple of less-enjoyable songs can affect your attitude.

3. Just because you are in a band with these guys doesn't mean that you have to dislike them. Just treat these as business relationships; show up, do your job, and go home. You can always hang out with ***holes on your off nights.

4. Finally, at some point you're going to have to look yourself in the mirror and decide what your values and priorities are. Just how much fun and enjoyment are you willing to tolerate in order to be in a successful gigging band? If, in the end, you decide that you just can't stand being this happy, it might be time for you to move on. And find a real band.

Good luck, and keep us posted.
  20. Mark Nye

Mark Nye

I was gonna write a *yawn* ...witty...response...but....*zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz*
  21. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Insist on playing "Brown Eyed Girl" every set because you like the bass riff.