I'm Trying to be Done With Gear, But...

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Count Bassie, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Count Bassie

Count Bassie Supporting Member

Got an offer. Just scored a nice old TE AH350SMX, and I'm back where I belong. Now I found another trade idea for another TE jig, a 210 SMC combo and 1153. What I have to trade (argh) is a GK 400RB and 2x Bag End S-15Ds... talk me out of it.
  2. Count Bassie

For God's sake...
  3. eukatheude

eukatheude

Do it! Do it! You know you want to!
  4. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

GK 400RB into a pair of Bag End S15 cabs is just about a perfect pair. I wouldn't do it.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Linnin

Linnin

+1 Agreed, Three of a Perfect Pair. ;)
  7. RockBobby

RockBobby Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I've been thinking of those bag ends!!
  8. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

Dude: resistance is futile!
  9. phillybass101

phillybass101

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Brubaker Guitars, Tecamp Bass Players Gear
    Depends on where your head is concerning your tone. I have an old TE GPSM7-300 (Made in England) that I use for a backup and a practice amp. I'm never getting rid of it. Built like a tank, got it used, and that was over 10 years ago.
  10. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

If you are a confirmed Trace fan then that is the direction you should go. For myself I'd rather the Bag Ends than anything Trace.
  11. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

12. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

My smx sounds great through all kinds of cabs. If the BagEnd ones are doing it for you, rock on.
  13. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    Asking TBers to talk you out of getting new gear? seriously?:p
  14. Count Bassie

:p That is the right remark to finish with so far. Yeah...
  15. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

I had some King Crimson tea at my coffee shop the other day, although the owner doesn't know who the band is.

Yeah I wouldn't make the trade either, unless the OP is certain he can replace his fine little stack at a later date.
  16. StayLow

StayLow

Just quit this site. It's like paying yourself in both time and money.

If you can replace that time with focused practice, you'll sound far better soon than any difference gear could make.
  17. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Are you Jeff Berlin?

:D
  18. floydman

floydman Supporting Member

the bag ends are quality. I miss mine.
  19. Count Bassie

I don't practice unless I've got some shedding to do for a gig, or a project. There are too many of you hot-shots out there for me to be in competitive mode- one has to choose one's battles. I'm in this for personal edification, as well as subsidiary income and art's sake. I do think I have something to offer...

I've sold one of my SWR heads to fund the Trace head I just got... and the other SWR is now up for sale here (SM400S). Anyway it doesn't matter too much which way I go. I'll come up with what to do, no one's in a hurry...

I know the GK/Bag End rig is a really fine rig: Loud, potent, small footprint and an easy haul. However I've just rediscovered my sound with the Trace head I recently found locally for a very good deal, and now there's a dude nearby who finds his TE rig too heavy. And I know it's a real nice one. So I'm throwing this round. Do I want to be completely sold out to the "Trace Elliot sound", or do I want to have more variety in the toolbox? There's the question, if there is one.

Thanks for all the honest/earnest/enthusiastic/dismissive responses!
  20. floydman

floydman Supporting Member

I loved my 200W trace head. it was actually paired with my bag ends and I loved that combo. great sound, but a little bit shy on power for my setup at that time.
    back on track: you are currently using a 350W trace head. that must be beastly. Are you going to be satisfied stepping down in power to the (200W?) in the combo amp?

if yes, do the trade.
    if no, perhaps there is another option, trade 1 bag end for the 1153, so you can still increase the amount of TE in your rig?
  21. Count Bassie

Well I'm keeping the 350 beastliness, so there's only a step-down for the sake of the convenience or appropriateness of the Trace combo for whatever gig. Also I don't think a partial deal is really happening- for me one Bag End cab just isn't generally so needful, but the pair pretty much kills. All or nothing here, for both parties, I'm afraid.