1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

I'm very much a traditional style bass guy, but ....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dark Horse, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Dark Horse

Dark Horse

...lately i've kind of been itching to try a Dingwall. And that's odd, because I'm a Fender/Music Man/Dano/etc guy typically....

I must be going crazy.
  2. depalm

depalm Supporting Member

We've only one life to live…
  3. bccbass

bccbass

Watch out!!! Your wallet is about to get a lot thinner!
  4. reddavid

reddavid Supporting Member

Out of darkness into light... Many Dingwall's are 'traditional' sounding. Super P, Super J, Super P/J. There are a variety of styles and sounds represented. All are top quality. IMO
  5. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

6. ctufankjian

ctufankjian Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Unicornbass.se
    Off topic, but I've always wanted to see full shots of your dingwall. I love mojo maple tops!

:D
  7. Dark Horse

Dark Horse

I wish they made a Combustion 5 with a 35-32 scale length,....

i love my short scale basses...

I do like that super j though....
  8. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Like you, I am a Fender fan too.

I am enjoying my Big Al SSS.

Works great for Young Country...as do the P-Basses.
  9. Dark Horse

Dark Horse

I guess we all go crazy once in a while ! :)
  10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass Supporting Member

I too am a traditional bass guy. I owned a few 35" basses for awhile but went back to 34" because I prefer their more traditional timbre.

I tried one of the flagship Dingwalls a couple of years ago. The tone was cool, in a modern way... as I expected. I mostly tried it to see if I could play on the fanned frets. As others have said, it's easier than it might seem.... up to the 12th fret, anyway. I'm a guy who looks at the side dots, and had trouble playing in the upper register because the side dots were misaligned compared to the D and G frets. I could certainly adjust if I decided to play Dingwalls regularly, but I prefer my current basses far too much.

That said: I am extremely interested in the Dingwall Super P! Scale length goes from 35" B to 32" G, which should keep a traditional timbre (the original Dingwalls go from 37" B to 34" G). I love the idea of shorter scales on the skinnier strings, with a 34.5" E and 35" B.
  11. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

The Super P and Super J are pretty traditional instruments. Take away the fanned frets and they're just high end Fender clones.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. Dark Horse

Dark Horse

I hear ya !

Yeah, the Super P and the Super J both have the scale length that I'd prefer as well.

Your experience with the fanned frets seems to echo most peoples.

Hopefully I can find someone around here with one that I can test out.
    :)
  13. Dark Horse

Dark Horse

Yeah, I mentioned that Super J up above. Those are the two that seem like they'd have the best chance of me liking them in the long run...shorter scale, a bit more classic looks. They two you pictured are beauties.
  14. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Don't question your sanity just because you desire to 'get out of the box'. :cool: My first Dingwall was a beautiful five-string Afterburner I. After playing it a couple of years, I invested in a four-string Super J/P and realized that its design/tone/feel was the most perfect (for me) that I'd ever found. As nice as the Afterburner was/is - I managed to let go of it to fund a five-string Super J/P. Then I 'had' to try a five-string J/J, and a four-string Super P. Dingwall Aquisition Syndrome is expensive but extremely satisfying in my book... :)
  15. awilkie84

awilkie84

Agreed. If only they had a more traditional profile to their necks. :p

I find them waaay too thin.