1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

I'm very much a traditional style bass guy, but ....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dark Horse, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

...lately i've kind of been itching to try a Dingwall. And that's odd, because I'm a Fender/Music Man/Dano/etc guy typically....

I must be going crazy.

2. depalm

depalm Gold Supporting Member

We've only one life to live…

3. bccbass

bccbass

Watch out!!! Your wallet is about to get a lot thinner!

4. reddavid

reddavid

Out of darkness into light... Many Dingwall's are 'traditional' sounding. Super P, Super J, Super P/J. There are a variety of styles and sounds represented. All are top quality. IMO

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

7. ctufankjian

ctufankjian Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Unicornbass.se
    Off topic, but I've always wanted to see full shots of your dingwall. I love mojo maple tops!

:D

8. Dark Horse

I wish they made a Combustion 5 with a 35-32 scale length,....

i love my short scale basses...

I do like that super j though....

9. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Like you, I am a Fender fan too.

I am enjoying my Big Al SSS.

Works great for Young Country...as do the P-Basses.

10. Dark Horse

I guess we all go crazy once in a while ! :)

11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass Gnarsty bass tones Supporting Member

I too am a traditional bass guy. I owned a few 35" basses for awhile but went back to 34" because I prefer their more traditional timbre.

I tried one of the flagship Dingwalls a couple of years ago. The tone was cool, in a modern way... as I expected. I mostly tried it to see if I could play on the fanned frets. As others have said, it's easier than it might seem.... up to the 12th fret, anyway. I'm a guy who looks at the side dots, and had trouble playing in the upper register because the side dots were misaligned compared to the D and G frets. I could certainly adjust if I decided to play Dingwalls regularly, but I prefer my current basses far too much.

That said: I am extremely interested in the Dingwall Super P! Scale length goes from 35" B to 32" G, which should keep a traditional timbre (the original Dingwalls go from 37" B to 34" G). I love the idea of shorter scales on the skinnier strings, with a 34.5" E and 35" B.

12. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

The Super P and Super J are pretty traditional instruments. Take away the fanned frets and they're just high end Fender clones.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Dark Horse

I hear ya !

Yeah, the Super P and the Super J both have the scale length that I'd prefer as well.

Your experience with the fanned frets seems to echo most peoples.

Hopefully I can find someone around here with one that I can test out.
    :)

14. Dark Horse

Yeah, I mentioned that Super J up above. Those are the two that seem like they'd have the best chance of me liking them in the long run...shorter scale, a bit more classic looks. They two you pictured are beauties.

15. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Don't question your sanity just because you desire to 'get out of the box'. :cool: My first Dingwall was a beautiful five-string Afterburner I. After playing it a couple of years, I invested in a four-string Super J/P and realized that its design/tone/feel was the most perfect (for me) that I'd ever found. As nice as the Afterburner was/is - I managed to let go of it to fund a five-string Super J/P. Then I 'had' to try a five-string J/J, and a four-string Super P. Dingwall Aquisition Syndrome is expensive but extremely satisfying in my book... :)

16. awilkie84

awilkie84

Agreed. If only they had a more traditional profile to their necks. :p

I find them waaay too thin.