I'm without a band :-(

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Dave R, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Dave R

Dave R

:crying: Been playing with the same bunch of guys for 12 years. Cover band. Also played upright with a bluegrass/ Union Station band for 4 years.

Within 2 months both broke up.

What's next? Answering ads on Craigslist? Networking? I'm in withdrawal!!
  2. bwoodman

bwoodman Supporting Member

I'm in the same boat right now - last band lasted 3 years - we all bailed back in May due to the usual - too much drama which made it not fun. Before that, was in a disco tribute type band for a 10 year run - always had gigs - every weekend until it kind of dried up in 2008 along with the economy, so the band leader / keyboard player actually left the country (his teaching biz dried up too, so he just bailed). I'm also in withdrawal and trying the same things - CL, networking (contacting previous cats I used to play with, which has turned up nothing so far) AND I'm checking Musicians Contact.com weekly, but not real impressed with what I'm finding on there lately - although I DID find my last band on there - timing is everything I guess. I'm hoping to find something soon. I'm going to NAMM next month - that's always good for networking and meeting cats.
  3. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

Sorry to hear this. But surely you've been doing some networking in the last 12 years, met other musicians and bands. Lots of folks have heard you play. Just make a few phone calls, hit a few jam nights, and put the word out that you are looking for a new project. I suppose CL and newspaper ads might help. Good luck.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
  4. nojj

nojj Guest

Hit some open stages, get some cards printed up to hand out.
    Check in local music stores, or the music dept of a university/college.

Dunno how CL is in ID, but here it's pretty worthless.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hey Woody!

Still nothing going for you? Dang! A player of your caliber needs to be gigging! I'm keeping my ears open for you.

It's slowed down quite a bit for me but I've got a couple of projects that are promising more gigs. We'll see.

Take care,

Cliff
  7. fenderbassman40

fenderbassman40

Woodshed and finesses yr home practice game. I was bandless for a year and really had a growth spurt at home learning new tunes and techniques. Now I'm back gigging remembering my no gig time fondly. Try and enjoy cause it seems like a player of yr caliber is gonna be busy soon.
  8. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

It can be very hard for you at this time which I totally understand.

But remember that you always should be open for things :) You can just go to some clubs or whatsoever and look at bands play there and snif around a bit. Maybe you will find something new :)

As for now : good luck and I hope you will find a band again.
  9. Twocan

Twocan Supporting Member

I had a lot of luck finding bands through Bandmix - don't give up!
  10. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Supporting Member

The biggest problem being a highly skilled player and gigless is that most of the bands one sees advertising in the usual places are NOT. Wading through the pool of dreamers, wannabe's and flakes is discouraging. I find myself asking "what will I do?" when my current band reaches its inevitable expiration date.
  11. 10cc

10cc

Write some songs and start a band.
  12. jaypee

jaypee

Not minimizing your frustration at all!!! Not having a gig can be difficult after going that long with a couple of steady gigs. If it is your main source of income it it a huge source of anxiety to not have one, obviously!

If you don't rely on the gigs for your living or even if you are getting by without the supplementary income, you could utlize the time between gigs to woodshed, take some lessons (online free or find a good instructor) dive into some theory, work on the chops and technique or develop a new style or skill that can make you that much more of a killer player for the next gig.

Go through every bit of your gear, go through all of your basses (clean up wiring, set ups, clean crackly pots etc) dial in your pedal board or signal chain, fix all of your bad cables etc.

Then there's always getting out and seeing other bands play and connecting/networking with other players.

Reset, refresh, reinspire!!!
  13. sparkyfender2

sparkyfender2

Same here. I've been here before, and I am sure something will turn up. It always has.....

Sadly, it seems the pool of players to choose from locally has shrunk considerably in the last few years. Most of the guys I would really jump at the chance to work with seem to be no longer playing, or playing very little.

The local market for music has also been in decline. Several clubs have closed their doors, several have opted for something other than live music, such as a DJ, etc.

It can be rather discouraging. Good luck!
  14. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
  15. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

I'm without a band also since summer. I was pretty happy about it and got a ton of fishing time in. But, it's cold and nasty here in NE Ohio and I'm sort of getting itch to play again. I have one bass and one rig and a band try out next week....we shall see.

Keep networking and watching the local band front as well as CL. People knock it but I have met and played with some awesome players and people from CL...just screen and be picky on who you meet on there.
  16. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

17. nojj

nojj Guest

Wear a red wig
  18. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Hit those open mics. If you're good. Somebody is gonna inquire about your availability. Bring business cards. Network, network, network.
  19. nojj

nojj Guest

Gotta keep your hand in.
    Last thing you want is finally get a call, to realize your bass has been sitting neglected for weeks.

Audition or gig fell through?
    Look on it as an opportunity to woodshed,
    work with some instructional DVDs,
    clean/maintain gear, try something new & out of the box,
    spend time on TB...err... scratch that.
    Most of us spend too much time here as it is..........:D
  20. Dave R

Dave R

I hadn't heard of BandMix.

Do good player really go to open mics? I thought they'd all be beginners looking for a first shot?

Fortunately, gigging is a hobby, not my livelihood.
  21. nojj

nojj Guest

You just have to find the 'right' open stages.