1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

iMac Question Memory and Logic 9 Question

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Fletz, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    None - but willing to discuss!
    I have my iMac 11,3 (mid 2010) and have been running Logic Pro 9 for a few years. There's been a few latency and effects processing issues, etc. This is dumb, but I just realized I have two 2GB memory slots available on my machine! Will adding another 4GB to the existing 4 (making it 8GB) make Logic 9 run better? Will it make it run more efficiently, less latency, and the like?

Thanks, all! (If I am right, I think I've had a $60 fix in front of me all along!)

2. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

Download Memory Clean in the App Store. It will show you if you're maxing out what you have right now. Either way, for $60 I'd do the upgrade if you plan on keeping it for even a few more months.

3. sonic assassin

sonic assassin

make sure to check with apple to see the max ram for the machine. if exceeded, there will be issues. ive seen them just flat out not turn on because there was too much ram. blew my mind.

but yes, it should help some. you can always pull up a very busy session, loop it, then pull up activity monitor and see if its bogging down the CPU.

4. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

A tip for finding cheaper Mac RAM is to cross reference the manufacturer's part number for the same RAM that isn't Mac branded.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Major Softie

Major Softie

Yes Yes Yes.

4 gig is pretty low for current system software and anything (like Logic) that is pretty memory intensive. Your iMac will run at least 16 gig. You should be running at least 8, but, if you can afford it, 16 would be better. It will make a big difference in internet performance too, especially if you like to have lots of pages open.

You can run any 1333 MHz PC3-10600 DDR3 SO-DIMMs (204-pin). You don't need "Mac specific" memory, just memory that meets these requirements.

Your iMac uses 204 pin, which is thought of as "laptop" memory by most vendors. But, even at a Mac specific place like Other World Computing, you can get the 2 2GB modules to get you to 8GB total for just $57.
    http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/iMac/2010/DDR3_21.5_27

According to EveryMac, your iMac may even be able to run 32GB with Snow Leopard or higher in 64-bit mode. It depends which 11,3 model you have: i3, or i5/i7
    http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...-21.5-inch-27-inch-how-to-upgrade-memory.html

7. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    None - but willing to discuss!
    Awesome info! Thank you all!

8. uhdinator

uhdinator

Logic in 32 bit mode only uses 8gb ram

In 64 bit logic can use 16gb ram and allows you to select how many CPU cores you want logic to use.

Although an i7 is a quad core, logic sees 8 cores due to hyper threading and turbo boost.

9. GrumpiusMaximus

GrumpiusMaximus I've Seen Things You People Wouldn't Believe Supporting Member

Any 32-bit process can only read 4GB of RAM. If Logic is a 32-bit process, upgrading the RAM will make no difference. A 64-bit process has a RAM limit that is beyond the capability of modern systems. I believe Logic 9 has an option to run in either 32 or 64-bit modes. In the latter, you may have issues with legacy plug-ins but upgrading your RAM will make a difference.

The best all-around upgrade to make is to an SSD. It hugely increases read/write speeds on your drive. It is a complex and potentially costly upgrade on an iMac, however.

10. Major Softie

Major Softie

Grumpius's comments are appropriate for Windows, but not for Mac OS. Windows is either 32-bit or 64-bit. Mac OS is not nearly that simple, as the Mac OS has both 32-bit and 64-bit kernels in the same OS, and even the 32-bit kernel can launch 64-bit processes. It is much more of a hybrid system. In addition, even in pure 32-bit mode, while the system can only assign 4 GB to a single running program, it assigns some memory to the system, so with 8 GB it will be able to assign a full 4GB to Logic. This is even more important if you have ANYTHING else open at the same time.

Also, I don't know how segmented Logic is. With ProTools, some processing can function as a separate program, and thus can still have that process assigned its own 4 GB. That's ProTools 10; 11 has gone to 64-bit.

SSD definitely is a huge speed jump for many processes. I don't know why Grumpius says it's so complex to install one in an iMac - it's not difficult at all in a Macbook Pro, you just have to choose if you will lose your Superdrive or replace your hard drive, but I know the Macbooks better than the iMacs.

11. GrumpiusMaximus

GrumpiusMaximus I've Seen Things You People Wouldn't Believe Supporting Member

Your comments about the segmentation of OS X are taken onboard. I exclusively use Macs, so I should have realised. Thanks for the correction.

As for replacing the HDD for an SSD - I speak from experience. I have replaced just about every part in my 2009 MacBook Pro at some point. I also have an (older) iMac - which is internally similar to newer iMacs. Some of the newer models have a bonded screen that may need to be removed with heat, some have magnets holding the screen in - and there is no access by taking the case apart. It's a solid billet of aluminium.

It's not at all impossible but it is tricky compared to some MacBooks. If you aren't confident in doing work on a tricky machine, it would have to be taken to a technician and that would have to be factored into the cost - with SSDs being fairly costly already (although certainly worthwhile).

It's probably less of a pig to work on than the iPad I worked on recently. That was a nightmare.

12. Major Softie

Major Softie

Ah, I had no idea. I foolishly assumed that the iMac should be a bit easier to get into than the MacBook, or, at the very least, no harder. Obviously, that was an error.

Having been in an iPhone, I feel your pain. ;)