1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Immigrant Song - octaves or not?

Discussion in 'Tablature [BG]' started by snoopyjc, Sep 30, 2004.

Immigrant Song - octaves or not?

1. Play the F# octave

39 vote(s)
    92.9%
  2. Be quiet

3 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. snoopyjc

snoopyjc

Led Zeppelin - Immigrant Song - verse - does the bass play the F# octave, or does it rest - it's hard for me to hear, though it sounds like a rest to me. What do you think? (vote)

Thanks!

--joe http://www.simple-groove.com/

Code:
    Octave:
          e   s   s   s   e       e   s   s   s   e        5x               
    ||-----------------------------------------------------||---------------
    ||*---------------4-----------------------4-----------*||---------------
    ||*---------------------------------------------------*||---------------
    ||----2---2---2-------2---x---2---2---2-------2---x----||---------------

Rest:
          e   s   s   s   e       e   s   s   s   e        5x               
    ||-----------------------------------------------------||---------------
    ||----2---2---2-------2---x---2---2---2-------2---x----||---------------

2. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

I dont think it matters man.i think during the verse he plays open e not he plays Fsharp for the intro though.I could be wrong though

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

for the love of god play the octave
    do yourself a favor - find you a copy of sarsippius' ark by the infectious grooves and listen to the cover of the immagrant song - esp the intro :D

4. snoopyjc

snoopyjc

That cover sounds pretty cool, but I'm trying to play it like the original. If you listen to the original, the bass doesn't even come in until the first change down to E, and like I said, I don't think he plays the octave.
    --joe

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. johnvice

johnvice

I don't have it in front of me but in one of John Paul Jones' columns in Guitar World Bass Guitar mag, he makes reference to this and includes a transcription snippet of how he played it. It is octaves. (He also uses a pick.)

On the live CD (How The West Was Won), the song is extended with a guitar solo and JPJ is definitely playing octaves.

7. lowendgod

lowendgod

it is deffinately octaves...... my theory if you are ever in doubt always use an octave : )

8. heath_the_great

heath_the_great

definately octaves....the infectious grooves cover is awesome....i plan on suggesting that to my band at next rehersal....mmmm...immigrant slapping

9. andrewd

andrewd

the first time through it sounds like a rest, but during the second it sounds more like octaves

change it up a bit.

10. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Isn't it F, not F#?

11. SlavaF

SlavaF

It's F#... 2nd fret on the E string. ;)

12. quatre03

quatre03

hit the octave and tap the E|-2

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Octave. I discovered I'm not fast enough to play this?! Wow, my fingerstyle sucks. But not surprisingly I can play the Infectious Grooves version.

14. jammadave

jammadave

^^^ Blob alert! Matt must be A Boy.

Anyways, I always octave this one, then again I always slap it. I keep the tone thick like it should be for the song tho, I don't go for the slap tone. I always lose ground going into the "chorus" part''s bass run tho, by the third line (when it goes up in key) my fingers start tripping over each other.

15. johnvice

johnvice

Matt, before you say "my fingerstyle sucks" consider that this is a hard song to play. There's no fancy technqiues to learn, just good old fashioned speed!

This is a great song to pratice for speed. Once you get a handle on the rapid octaves in the verse, the chorus is harder: JPJ is playing 2 ascending scales each bar, that's 16th notes.

Slow down your playing and have fun before you take it up to killer speed.

16. snoopyjc

snoopyjc

Thanks for all of the responses so far - yeah, I'm also not "fast enough" to play the octaves properly, but I didn't really hear them being played - which was the reason for my post. I can probably "get it" with some practice!

I also am leaving some of the notes out on the chorus, too, rather than trying to trip over the 16ths. I play it like this:
    A C# E F#-A x2
    B D# F# G#-B x2
    C E G A-C x2
    C E G-A-A#-B-C

(where notes without '-' are 8ths, with '-' are 16ths)

I realize I'm "cheating", but it sounds OK.

--joe

17. heath_the_great

heath_the_great

in a recent lesson with JPJ he talk about using scales as riffs and what not...the chorus is

A mixolydian x2
    B mixolydian x2
    then
    C Mixolydian x 1
    then he plays a seccond C Mixolydian but adds a chromatic passing tone which passes the C into the next bar

C Mixolydian
    |-----------------------------
    |--------------------7--9--10
    |----------7--8--10----------
    |---8---10--------------------

C Mixolydian with passing tone

|---------------------------|--------
    |--------------------7-8-9--|--10---
    |----------7--8--10---------|-------
    |---8---10------------------|-------

18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Which is why JPJ is the man! :hyper: But actually one of my main regrets as a bassist is I've put too much attention into slap, and I'm having to pay for it. I get the "you're better than Les Claypool (B.S.)" line now and then... but I think I'd prefer the "you're better than Geddy Lee (B.S.)" line. :D

:D :D

19. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Octave for sure.

There is a lot of good advice on this thread, but don't forget this song also grooves.

What I mean is that yes, you play the octave but your have to be precise and let the be some air between the notes. This is what helps give the song groove.

Ted

20. vegaas

vegaas

I play this song with Albatross. I can nail it, but by the end my plucking hand starts to kill me. It gets very hard to keep the groove at the end of the song when your plucking hand is going numb. The guitar player knows this and will purposely extend his guitar solo when we are playing a gig. :spit:
    Its all in good fun, but I have made one rule. We will never again start the night with this song. I tried to warm up as best I could, but that was pure hell.

Oh, and yes, play the octave!

21. wolfhound

wolfhound

This is one of the songs JPJ used a pick. In one of his columns he said he used whatever fingerstyle / pick method he thought was best for the song.