Impeadence of extension cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by DieselKTM, Jan 1, 2013.

1. DieselKTM

DieselKTM

I need an extension cabinet for my Eden Metro (2X10 @ 8 Ohms).
    Should I get a 4X10 @ 8 Ohm or 4X10 @ 4 Ohms. Id like to keep the speaker loads even?? Help!:confused:
  2. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

Unless your amp is 2 ohm stable - none of the above
  3. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

4. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

+1 An 8Ω 4x10 will be constantly limited by the 2x10 internal load. A 4Ω cabinet will fall below 4Ω the probable minimum for your amp.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    Lets say the amp WAS 2 ohm stable. You could use an 8ohm and a 4ohm cab for a total ohm load of about 3. Although the mismatch shouldn't hurt the amp, it will make the 2 cabs sound different. One would be stronger than the other.

This why I never mix ohm ratings even if the amp can do it.
  7. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

It does have it's place though, so understanding is the key.

When mixing a 2X10 and a 4X10, or mixing a 2X15 with a 1X15 you MUST use the impedance mismatch to your favor so that each individual speaker throughout your mix of cabs recieves the same amount of power.
  8. LowEZ

LowEZ Supporting Member

The Eden Metro DC210XLT combo is 2 ohm stable, so I would go for either a 4 ohm D410XLT or an 8 ohm D210XLT cab depending on need.
  9. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Whoaaa....that's the one! This would be perfect: use the Metro combo solo for the smaller venues...throw the 2 X 10 ext. cab in the car for the bigger rooms. You've got everything covered with what is feasibly a 500+ watt 4 X 10 rig.

Riis
  10. LowEZ

LowEZ Supporting Member

I've never experienced it personally, but I've read many positive reviews of running a D210XLT together with a D210XST. Being that the combo is an XLT, you may also want to consider an 8 ohm D210XST as an extension cab. The XST is a bit smaller and easier to handle than the XLT, yet it supposedly goes deeper.
  11. DieselKTM

DieselKTM

Ok.... So a 4X10 4 ohm can will even power output to each speaker?
    :meh:
  12. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Yes, a 4 ohm 410 paired with your 8 ohm 210 combo will be a 2.6 ohm load on the amp, and all 6 spkrs will get even power. So long as the amp truly is stable down to 2 ohms, this would be the biggest "bang for the buck" combination, although an 8 ohm 2x10 ext cab would leave the amp running @ 4 ohms, and be less stress (heat) on the amp.
  13. Bmorefoozler

Bmorefoozler

If you've got the coin and space do both. Then you can have everything from a 2x10-8x10 and be completely scalable for your situation and provide even power distribution.
  14. DieselKTM

DieselKTM

Thanks guys....

Thinking 410 @ 4.
    I've used my 800 rb for 20 years with various cabs. ( the same head). I bought the metro for small gigs. I just love the tone... 2 10s just wont push enough air for most of my gigs... Hope the old GK will forgive me.

I appreciate all your badly needed input.

Best regards!