1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Importing from the UK

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fuzzychaos, Dec 26, 2013.

1. fuzzychaos

fuzzychaos

Mar 17, 2008
    Ohio
    I am thinking about buying a bass from AC Guitars (ACG, one of the Graft series) and I wanted to know, those of you that have purchased a bass from the UK, what the duty fees were like and how difficult was it to get it shipped and through customs in regards to time. Also, is there anything I should look out for in regards to customs snafu's?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. fuzzychaos

fuzzychaos

Mar 17, 2008
    Ohio
    how about anybody with any experience importing a bass?

3. I have bought several basses on ebay from the uk and only one time i paid $100 duty fee after delivery. If you are buying from a dealer , make sure they deduct the vat tax.

4. fuzzychaos

fuzzychaos

Mar 17, 2008
    Ohio
    Thanks for reminding me about VAT. I'll check with the builder.

5. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Depends on what the shop claims the value is. I bought a 5k bass, but the dealer claimed value at 1k, so I paid about $87. Another TBer bought a similar bass from a different dealer who claimed the full price, and he paid probably four times what I did.

6. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2008
    Ii bought my Status directly from the UK. Rob shipped it via FedEx, and Fedex computed and billed me, a week or two later, for the taxes and duties.