Impossible question!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by fuzzy beard, Nov 21, 2012.

1. fuzzy beard

fuzzy beard

As some of you know i sold most of my gear off a few months back to fund my wifes maternity leave. And now with income tax coming around the corner my wife has offered me the money to replace gear.

So here is where it all gets complicated! I sold vintage tube amps, basses, and a upright i had for a very short time. And now with this offer i dont know what to get!

I kept my favorite amp (Bassman 20) and my favorite bass (VM mustang). Wich are more than enough for a hobbist like me! But i do have a wish list LOL.

Custom bass from Grove gitars
    American made fender bass
    Custom 1x15 or 2x12
    Micro ss head and cab
    Upright bass

So i imagine i will have about 2 grand. So i could do custom bass and micro rig. Or custom cab and used American bass. Or find more cool used and vintage gear. Or buy a decent upright?

I do miss my upright. Although i spent very little time with it and didnt know what i was doing it was a blast!

So should i get another upright? Or replensh my electric gear?

2. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Go with the electric stuff, it'll get more use. Pick up a decent used MIA P or J, and then reevaluate your next step. Maybe some pedals?
    Instead of the upright, pick up a cheap fretless or acoustic fretless.

3. Rockbassist4

Rockbassist4

Look for some deals on good used electric gear.

4. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard

+1 You gotta do what you gotta do but this was my first thought.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

If you really use the upright, it's not something you can duplicate with an electric and maybe you should go that way.

If not, I'd put it off for the time being and go with the micro rig; a Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.0 combo with the 12" speaker would be ideal, and buying used would leave you room for a nice electric which has a different sound than the VM Mustang.

7. fuzzy beard

fuzzy beard

Upright is pretty high on my list! And being i play mostly acoustic folk country stuff it is most often expected.

As for the micro rig i was thinking Carvin bx250 and 2x10 or GK mb200 and 1x12 or 2x10.

8. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

If there's any possible way to do it, try the Genz-Benz Shuttle series before you buy anything else. My Shuttle 6.0 amp is 3.75 pounds, puts out 375W peak into 8 ohms, 600W peak into 4 ohms. Weight docked on a 12" speaker is 32 pounds - total. And it sounds formidable. For me it was love at first listening.

[​IMG]

9. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Sounds like you have enough electric gear for what you're doing now - buying more is just GAS. Getting another upright if you're into it sounds like the best use of your time, no?
    :)

10. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

What do you need the stuff FOR? Do you play with a band? Do you gig? Or is this just for playing for yourself at home? If it's for a band and gigging, I'd focus on amps, because the bassman 20 isn't going to get you too far. If it's for your enjoyment at home, I'd go for the upright, because a) that's what you seem to have the most emotional response to and b) for personal satisfaction, I'd go for variety rather than upgrading. But that's my reaction. Have fun spending your money!

11. fuzzy beard

fuzzy beard

Mostly acoustic jams. A couple open mics here and there. I Mic my Bassman 20 for the open mics. Hoping to get a folk project going in the upcoming year!

12. fuzzy beard

fuzzy beard

That's what I am thinking also. But man you can get so much great gear for the price of a decent starter upright.

13. RoadRanger

A new Engelhardt costs $1300 these days, I paid about a grand five years ago or so. I'd not bother with anything below that. Maybe find one used?

EDIT> You can get 15% off and free shipping at wwbw.com :D .

14. fuzzy beard

fuzzy beard

I have been looking at the engel's on line. Seems no shopsaround here carry them. They all push the Shen uprights. And i love the look of that Shen sb90. But thats $1700

15. RoadRanger

I think the Engelhardt is more robust than most others - important if you want to go to bluegrass jams with it or whatever. The Shen might sound better but the Engelhardt (formerly Kay) is plenty good enough for most gigs. The Engelhardt is also made in the USA if you care about that :) .

16. fuzzy beard

fuzzy beard

17. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

Carvin makes great, inexpensive, giggable combo amps.

If you're actually going to play double bass, as above, you really can't duplicate that tone exactly, even with a block of foam under the strings at the bridge on a MIA P-bass.

Go over to the DB side and there are stickies about shopping for a double bass that have great advice. But expect to use almost all of your budget to get one that is giggable out of the box from a reputable dealer.

18. fuzzy beard

fuzzy beard

Yeah I have been over there. Even posted a big question over there if you look at the post above yours.

19. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Upright, and get a few lessons! I have two friends with the entry level Englehardts and have played both a fair amount. They are quite different from each other, but I could gig either one pretty happily as long as jazz solos weren't a big part of the gig, and both are very pretty. The Shen I've played was in another world from either, but cost like it as well.

20. fuzzy beard

fuzzy beard

Lessons are a must!