Impressive - American Special Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Bought one today (stole it for$649 new in CAR / maple). Build quality on this particular one is superb.

Crazy tight neck pocket, level frets, no sprouts, beautiful grain on front and back of maple neck. Weight is 9 lbs.

After I did a minor setup, the action is sick-low. Neck profile is the best of any P I've owned. Love the satin finish on the back of the neck.

Tone seems great here in my home. I will report on how she does on gigs tone-wise.

Sure the bridge and tuners are not quite as nice as the American Standard, but the bridge is functional and the tuners turn well.

I am truly impressed. Much more so than I thought I would be.

Pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard

3. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Fender is putting out some great instruments these days - congrats on grabbing one...

- georgestrings

4. pbass888

pbass888 Supporting Member

Agreed , I recently tried out some 2013 jazz basses, every bit as good as my vintage basses and incredible feel and tone. Congrats!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 1960jbass

1960jbass

Bought one last year for the same price. Love the CAR/maple. Did change out the bridge for a Schaller and now it's becoming my #1. Congrats on yours!!

7. Wallace320

Wallace320

at the price of a MIM standard P you got a far better neck and
    a Grease Bucket tone circuit that surely doesn't hurt

great find my friend
    enjoy that bassguit

Cheers,
    Wallace

8. Quadzilla

Updated with pics.

Question, I see pics of some of these American Specials that have a plain (nothing on it) neck plate. Mine has the 60th Anniversary plate. I guess the ones w/o the 60th plate were made in 2012? I thought this model just came out this year (2013)?

9. Wallace320

Wallace320

in 2011 Fender celebrated the 60th anniversary of its Precision
    (launching an appropriate "best of all eras" anniversary edition)

same year American Special series came out

I briefly had a 2012 American Special Jazz and its neck plate sported nothin', much like a MIM standard

Cheers,
    Wallace

10. KlingyFungus

KlingyFungus

11. Arial Bender

Arial Bender

Special came out in 2010. I have a 2010 model Burst / rosewood, And that neckplate.

12. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

Is GC still selling them for $559? I thought you hit the lottery on that one.

Insane prices for MIA P's!

13. Quadzilla

My local GC said no. It must have been a one-shot deal (and a great one at that)!

14. Quadzilla

I have a Gotoh 201 bridge laying around that I'm going to slap on her. I also just bought a set of lightweight aluminum tuners for her as well. That should take care of any neck dive (which is pretty minimal in it's stock state).

15. Bongolation

Bongolation

It can't be said too often: This is pure marketing and a technical negative. There should always be some lateral clearance on a Fender, or any other bolt-on, neck. Any's enough, but tight is actually bad (the critical fit is the face, not the sides). Lots of disgusted guys at FMIC when Marketing gave in to this stupid bubba obsession.

What infuriates me about it is that they've chosen to waste production money on this idiocy, yet won't spend the extra 51.8 seconds per unit to properly fit the nut, which is glaringly off on the majority of production basses, and DOES matter. :mad:

Bubbas don't know about proper nut fit, so therefore it's a non-issue. :rollno:

Many people, me included, prefer the traditional one on the Special. The machines are fine.

Though it's not perfectly to my preferences, the Special is closest to them of the current Fender Precisions.

16. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

How have you found the neck? How does it compare to a MIA or MIM P in terms of thickess front to back and feel? Is it much slimmer?

17. Quadzilla

Yes, the neck is a little thinner front to back. It's not a huge difference, but it's enough to make it more comfortable (IMHO)!

18. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

Say it loud. Fit the face.

19. EagleMoon

EagleMoon

I had one of these for a while. Very nice P basses. Really nice neck on them.

20. Philibuster

Philibuster Supporting Member

Good looking bass, man. I've played a few of these in store and almost pulled the trigger on one of the natural honey-colored ones but haven't yet... I'm always impressed with the build quality; it sounds like you are, too, enjoy!

21. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

I actually prefer the American Specials to the MIA standards. Thinner finish and high mass bridge= blah.