Improv Module Related Question

Discussion in 'Ask Todd Johnson' started by AHS45354, Mar 13, 2014.

1. AHS45354

AHS45354

Hey Todd,

I just posted a question, but it looks like it didn't go through, so I'm apologizing in advance if it looks like I'm posting the same thing twice.
    :bag:
    Anyways, I'm a big fan of your improv method so far. Its been less than a month, but the consistency of how and what I'm practicing has already shown a marked improvement in a lot of ways, even my sight singing! You mention at the very beginning of your video series how the other major part of learning to improvise involves working with transcriptions, so I was wondering whether you had any suggestions/ recommendations of any solos to look at (bass or otherwise)? I'm aware that what you are having us work on is probably going to be present in almost any good solo, but I'm still curious as to any suggestions you could offer (or anybody else), especially something that is obviously utilizing these approaches. I look forward to any followup packages that you put out!

Thank you again for all of the helpfulness and inspiration!

2. Minus

Minus

AHS45354 - I've transcribed quite a few of Todd's "Playing through the real book" solos available on his web site. I transcribe them by ear and use the pdf to check my work. Great stuff IMO.

All the best,
    Tim

3. Minus

Minus

Should have added - the Bb Blues, Cmin Blues, Autumn Leaves, and Blue Bossa are all great ones to start with.