1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

In chamber mic style pickup?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tjclem, Dec 11, 2012.

1. tjclem

tjclem

Disclosures:
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I am working on a project, a 5 string heavily chambered 80mm thick bass. Right now the customer just wants the hipshot piezo saddles. He is considering an internal mic in addition. I have never done that any suggestions? Links to products to look into? Thoughts? Thanks all.
  2. bassteban

bassteban

Bumpin because we dont have a *like* button
  3. RickBlair

RickBlair

http://www.gollihur.com has some upright bass mics that could possibly be used. I guess the biggest concern will be feedback at higher volume.

Rick B.
  4. Musiclogic

Musiclogic

Disclosures:
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Check into acoustic mics by Barcus Berry, Fishman, K&K, and David Gage. I believe Graphtech has a plug in for their Acoustiphonic board. You can Contact Gray at Graphtech, and he will give you some guidance on graphtechs capabilities with the piezo saddles and a mic. There are many buffer based systems that use both a mic and a piezo contact in the same system. Stew Mac used to carry a few, so did LMI
  5. kevteop

kevteop

You could also look at the Ehrlund EAP I suppose. Great on double bass. Resists feedback well too.
  6. tjclem

tjclem

Disclosures:
    Thanks all. Graphtech was the first place I looked. I thought they did have a mic system. I can't find it any more.

I will look into the other options.
  7. Matthijs

Matthijs

+1 for the Ehrlund. On the DB side people are quite happy with it and I think it would be possible to build it into the bass.
  8. HogieWan

HogieWan

check acoustic guitar pickup makers
  9. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

I think we'd all like to see some more pics of this one!!
  10. tjclem

tjclem

Disclosures:
    Thanks just installed the frets. I hope to play her tomorrow night. Waiting to hear if the customer wats to add another unit to the bass or not..t
  11. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered 8er Supporting Member

Beautiful instrument, Mr. Clement!

I've been thinking about doing one of these too, using the GHS Acoustic Soundhole Microphone that StewMac sells (for $50). Anybody used that particular mic? The price is certainly attractive, but I've been around long enough to know that you usually get what you pay for....
  12. tjclem

tjclem

Disclosures:
    Thanks. He decided against the additional mic. I did get it up and running for last night.
  13. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

Are you going to put inlay around the soundhole?

...because I like it just how it is.
  14. kris pung

kris pung

Stunning, how does it sound?
  15. tjclem

tjclem

Disclosures:
    Hostly I have never done that and the customer didn't ask for it. I wouldn't know how.
  16. tjclem

tjclem

Disclosures:
    Different, very crisp. I am uploading a video of it to my business FB page now. I hope it loads right. I would like to make one for myself. I don't have a fretted 5. I would go B-G though and would like to try Deep talking flats on it.
  17. Triad

Triad

Disclosures:
    Bass Builder
    AKG makes a contact microphone called 411 (L version has to be connected to an external transformer, PP version can be used with phantom power). I got two for a bass that's not conceptually too different from this but ended up using piezos+magnetic.