1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

In Ear Monitor...Inexpensive Solution

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Already In Use, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Already In Use

Already In Use

Perhaps this is well known...I dont know...It's new to me so I thought I might share. For in home practice I am using a headphone amp with my bass and mix coming thru my PA mixer to headphones..so I was messing around today. I have a long(20ft) headphone cable with a small mp3 player adapter...SOOoo...I got out my earbuds hooked it all up to an empty channel on my headphone amp and...Wa La! In ear monitors. I can control the sound level of the mix at the headphone amp. Just needing a mix feed from the mixer to the headphone amp and I believe I am good to go. Disregard this if it appears I have "discovered" the wheel or something like that! Ha! Sort of excited! Thanks...Peace!:bassist:

2. TimmyP

TimmyP

The problem: No protective limiter. Someone does something stupid and you get blasted. Use a pack or phones amp with a limiter built in.

3. Already In Use

Already In Use

Ahhh Ok..Ddidnt figure that all the way thru..Thats important...Thank you.

Question...If I set the volume at my headphone amp...wouldnt that be as loud as it could ever get? That alone wouldnt eliminate a Doh moment at the mixer where somebody revs the mix gain up thru the roof...Am I understanding this correctly?

4. Hactar

Hactar

In a word, no.

Volume knobs act as multipliers (or dividers).
    Thus, even if you set the volume knob quite low, if an ungodly loud signal came along (relative to the normal signal level), it would still be very loud.
    For a sort of crude example, say the normal level of signal is 1. Your volume knob is set to make everything, say, half as loud, so the signal is usually .5. But then something sends a signal of 300. You will still get a signal of 150.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Already In Use

Already In Use

Thanks for clarifying. So much to learn! Peace! :bassist:

7. TimmyP

TimmyP