in-ear / monitor mix

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by Bigmuffdiver, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Bigmuffdiver

Bigmuffdiver

Hey there Justin

First of all, great to see you're open for Q&A's while livin' the busy life! Thanks!

I'm always curious about the monitor mixes musicians ask for when playing live.
    Most of all, when playing with multiple synths, guitars involved, noisy samples etc.

I wonder; what was your typical in-ear mix when playing for NIN besides bass? And would that mix be with your clean bass signal or all of its effects on it?

I also ask this question because most of the time I have a hard time putting together my monitormix with the monitormixer.
    Lil' bit more guitar...lil' less... more... you get it :smug:

Thx in advance!

2. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

My NIN mix was mostly balanced like a record. My Beck mix is the same. I'm a bit unusual in the way I structure my mixes, most people strongly feature their instrument and often even turn off people that they don't need to focus on. That seems crazy to me.

With Beck now, I might have an even more neutral and "all inclusive" mix than I did with NIN, because the show we're putting together is so heavily dependent on listening to each other, not just for dynamics but for playing to samples and loops. Unlike NIN, we aren't playing to tracks, so everything is live triggered and hand-played. Very different music, obviously, but I'm finding that it seems to take a bit more concentration on some of the more electronic-oriented Beck material.

I guess you could say that I "feature" the bass a bit more....the mix isn't completely neutral. But that gives you some idea.

If you're having levels moving up and down all the time, you need to have your monitor engineer try some limiting, and/or making scenes for each song if he's not already (and obviously only if he's on a digital console).

J

3. Bigmuffdiver

Bigmuffdiver

Waw, thanks for the quick response!

The 'record sound' is something I dream of live. But sometimes it's arriving at a venue, setting up, a speedy soundcheck because the shows is running late. I think we've never used a digital console, but some limiting might be a good idea indeed!

4. KlystronNoir

KlystronNoir

I once played a gig where the engineer decided to mix the first bands recorded set during the second bands set. : / and the drummer had the first bands recording blasting through his monitor for two songs!

5. Register to disable this ad