In Ear Monitors-how to hook up?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by dbogart, Jan 30, 2013.

1. dbogart

dbogart

Hi guys,

My band's lead singer recently purchased some in ear monitors (galaxy audio 1100's). He is also using a wireless mic system (line 6 xd-v30).

My question is how do we hook up the in ear monitors to just give him his voice in his ears?

At practice the other day we had the in ear monitors hooked up to one of the floor monitors. It worked, but if we add anyone else into the mix he will be getting the vocals mixed with guitars, etc.

Anyway, if you guys could just clarify if we are hooking the in ear monitors up correctly I would appreciate it. The manual for these things sucked.

thanks,
    dave

2. modulusman

modulusman

What are you using for a mixer and does it have more than one aux send?

3. dbogart

dbogart

Hi, we are using a Macke dfx-12. I believe it has only one aux send for the monitors. The bars we play at may be a different story.

4. ggunn

ggunn

Well, what you guys have figured out is that you can't just buy a pair of IEM's and be done. You've got to feed them, and that can get very complicated depending on what you expect to get out of them. I've been to a major concert where everyone in the six piece band had stereo IEM's and the mixing board just for their monitors was bigger than the FOH mixer.

There's no one single answer, but most folks with IEM's want a mix (or two if they want stereo) just for themselves. Providing this with a small barroom PA system can be challenging to impossible.

When I was using them, I had my own mixer on stage with me with passthrough signals from my mic, my amp, and my acoustic guitar. I also had a general monitor mix from the wedges the rest of the band was using along with an ambient microphone. It sounded great but it took almost as long for me to set it up and get the mix right as it took the sound guy to set up the FOH system.

Does your guy have custom molded earpieces? The good and the bad of them is that they isolate very well, which is good for hearing well, but bad because you don't hear anything besides what you feed them. If you want to hear what everyone else is doing, you have to find a way to get all that into an electronic signal that you can send to the IEM's.

Anyway, sorry I don't have a pat answer for you. Good luck.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dbogart

dbogart

I appreciate your help. Our vocalist is just trying to use one FOH mixer. Let me ask you this....in a bar situation with just one mixer...is it appropriate to hook up the IEM transmitter to a daisy chain situation from one of the floor monitors? Of course, this gets screwed if we start pluggjng in other instruments or mics into the FOH mixer......

7. BassManMike73

BassManMike73 Supporting Member

You wouldn't want to do that if the monitors are passive. If they're being fed a signal from an amp that could damage the transmitter for the IEM's.

8. dbogart

dbogart

Thank you. I believe they are powered.

9. melo_cyril

melo_cyril

i think you guys should buy a Jamhub, than you lead can monitor his voice in any way he like. and you can mix the monitor in you own way too..
    and aviom is good, if you can pay for it...
    and you mixer can use for pick up the drums.

10. seamonkey

seamonkey

The mackie, and most all mixers, have channel insert that when you plug a mono 1/4" halfway will split the input. One click in it will split to the 1/4" you plug in. The regular channel input is not disrupted as long as you don't plug in all the way. Just one click in. Read the manual. Avoid the urge to push this in all the way during last minute sound checks.

11. dbogart

dbogart

Thx guys. Seamonkey, I think you just answered my orig question. Thx so much.