1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

In ear Monitors

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Moto, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Moto

Moto

I am thinking about going to an in ear monitor. Stage space for wedges as well as loud guitars are starting to erk me. Any suggestions on equipment as well as quality ears for good bass response?
  2. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Alleva-Coppolo| MESA |Genz-Benz R.I.P.|REDDI|Westone
    Well I use Westone ES2.. And i love them .... very comfy. great bass response.... perfect..
  3. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

Couple of notes... while "testing" hardwire is the way to go... (meaning a cable directly to the IEM box)

I own several brands of the actual ear bud ... folks will comment "how I love my XYZ" The biggest improvement was not the actual brand, model or type of ear bud --- it was paying an audiologist to make molds and fit them.... My primary use set are single drivers

Tim
  4. Barisaxman

Barisaxman Supporting Member

As others mentioned. Get custom molds...Westone are generally thought of highly. Too many people (myself included) use inferior earbuds that do not seal correctly, then quickly write-off IEM's as not being a good solution. If you have good molds and decent drivers...the unit you're using to feed them will not be nearly as critical. I've been using my Shure PSM200's for around 5 years now and have been happy, even though I need better earbuds/custom molds. With bass, a good seal in the ear canal is vital to low end response from the earbuds.
  5. fokof

fokof Gold Supporting Member

^^^^^^^
    What he says.
    If you don't have to do backflips , a wire will always sound better. True for mikes , also true for IEM.
    +1 for the molds. My SCL5 sounded really good but with the molds , they are fantastic. This will be probably true for all buds.

If you try IEM and like it , you'll never want to come back to wedges.
  6. jaywa

jaywa

IEMs are great. Highly recommended.

Also highly recommended is the Search feature of TalkBass which will net you probably at least a couple dozen threads on this topic.

Re earbuds, I use FutureSonics Atrios at $200 new and shipped (eBay), and love em much.
  7. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

Wireless are OK (I own a few setups) ...

The deal about "hard wire" is to eliminate variables and cost... there's a gizmo box called a "rolls PM351" that you'll want EVEN IF you run wireless.

It takes time to acclimate and setup wireless..

Many folks quit before they learn how to makeit work.
  8. ggunn

ggunn

I don't know of any reason why that should be true in either case. I've run mine both ways and cannot tell the difference. Maybe if you compare a wired connection to cheap crappy wireless gear it could be that way.
  9. jmbjandfam

jmbjandfam Supporting Member

+1 on the Atrios. I have 2 pair with the custom ear molds. Best place to get them is from here though. This guy gives awesome customer service and is cheaper than 200

New Future Sonics Atrio MG7 Stock at Freq City Sound
  10. steveksux

steveksux

You can get Ultimate Ears triple fi 10's for under $200 on amazon also.

Randy
  11. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

IF just shopping around,

A good entry point "pro level" single driver is the M-Audio IE-10... I've bought them used for as little as $20... they have repacement cords that are available.. the shure foam tips will work with them (until you have an audiologist fit them).
  12. Rocksolid

Rocksolid

I am using TF10's (M Audio IE-40's are rebadged TF10's) and they are amazing for bass. I have a 2nd set of IE-40's on the way back from 1964 Ears - Hear Everything after they went thru the remold service - they have been changed into full custom molds. I expect they will be even better than standard.

I can't wait. :hyper:
  13. marxbear

marxbear

I have been Westone UM2's but recently changed over to the Atrios.... They rock for bass..

Picked them up plus the Mipro wireless from Freq City.

Biggest trouble I have had was trying to find a desk in my price range with enough AUX sends to provide custom IEM mixes. I have ended up going to a digital system using the MOTU Traveller.
  14. Moto

Moto

Thanks for all the input. When I return from vacation I will be setting up a system. I will post my thoughts when completed.
  15. aquaboy1993

aquaboy1993

+1 on the 1964Ears. I have a set of their quads. Upgraded from UE Superfi 5's. The custom mold is the way to go. It takes out so much of the excess volume and if you have a good IEM system, let's you dial in what you need. I prefer Aviom though a good sound person is hard to beat.
  16. Rocksolid

Rocksolid

I gotta post this coz I'm so proud of it:

[​IMG]

No need for a Rig with this baby - although I do use a powered monitor with it so others in the band without IEM can hear me.

Presonus Studio Channel and Korg DTR1000 for my bass. Out from the Presonus go to the powered monitor and the Rolls PM351.

PM351 feeds the Presonus Blue Max Comp with my Bass signal, FOH mix, and my mic. One side of the EQ is in the side chain of the Comp to control what is compressed and the other side of the EQ shapes what I hear, that goes to my IEM unit. I'm really loving it and as posted earlier, once my remold TF10s arrive from 1964 ears it will be complete!
  17. Rocksolid

Rocksolid

My Remolded TF10s arrived from 1964 ears this morning... Spectacular is the only word I can use thus far.

You gotta learn how to fit them but once you know how it is easy. Bass is amazing and clarity is great. Only had a 5 minute play with them but will try them out more thoroughly later today.

Well worth the investment.
  18. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

You can hardly do better than any Future Sonics product. One of the pioneers,and the best.
  19. Craig_S

Craig_S

I have a set of IE30's that sound good, but the cables on the UE/M-Audio buds SUCK. I've replaced two cables, so far and I was only using them weekends for around 1 1/2 years. I don't abuse my gear, either. The last time I needed a cable, I ordered two--just in case. The coolness factor of being able to replace the cable goes away when it's necessary every six months or so.
  20. wwcowley

wwcowley

I have LIvewires triple drivers and love them. Its incredible. Go to a competent audioligist for your molds. Good molds are key.:bassist: