1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

In-Ear Monitors

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by BrandonA119, Nov 11, 2012.

1. BrandonA119

BrandonA119

I'm looking into getting some in-ear monitors and wanted to get everyone's opinion on what they use. Any ideas? I really don't want to spend a boat load of money either.

Thanks!

2. ggc

ggc

My band has been using IEM's for over a year now, and it has been great! We use the Carvin systems and have had no problems with them at all. Sound is very good, and would likely be even better if/when the earphones were upgraded to something custom molded.

We control our own monitor mix by bringing our own mixer and sending everything to the front of house system by way of mic splitters and DI's...All 3 of us get our own mix and it is totally consistent either when rehearsing, or at any gig.

The decision to go with IEM's has really improved our sound...and made soundchecks very easy.

It also seems to be much easier for the soundmen we have worked with, and they enjoy being able to concentrate on the main mix and not worry about monitors and extra stage volume.

3. Keithwah

Keithwah Supporting Member

There are probably 2,000 different threads here on IEM's. use the Search tool. You will find much valuable and much useless babbling a in almost all of them. I am unfamiliar with any who have bought Shure, Sennheiser, Audio Technica or MiPro rigs and sold/ traded them for Carvins or Nady's or other budget priced systems. I've also met plenty of people who went IEM route, bought a $50 pair of buds and doesn't have any complaints (likely due to not knowing a good useable sound from a popcorn fart). But there are many who tried the cheap brands only to stop using them altogether and giving IEM rigs a bad name. Set up correctly, they kill wedges.

Buy one of the better named brands and plan on dropping at least $150 and up on a pair of ear buds that are universally recognized as quality drivers for bassists. What makes a guy happy with IEM's is a clean sound you cannot achieve withou the use of such a system. I am an IEM snob, but I'm an IEM snob with a total investment of under $500 for my rig. I bought an AT M2 system ( old have preferred the M3, but the M2 does the trick) used for $250, and a set of Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10, 3-way buds off Amazon for $150 shipped. I get enough level to blow,y head off, more bass than I've gotten with some loaner Atrios, Westones, or even the Shure triple drivers. My band has completely dropped their Alien Ears custom molds and switched to the UE as well.

But always look to the forum search threads first. This question has been beat with a stick. But there is much already said in the forum threads to enlighten you and also to help show you the difference between good sound advise, and the rumblings of guys looking for a way to do it with a $50 investment.

4. Wadge

Wadge

There is a lot to think about when considering going the IEM route.

You will first need to choose whether you are going to get universal fit ears buds (such as those in the Shure line) or custom molded IEMs. There are thankfully quite a few makers nowadays. I chose 1964 Ears because they seem to be the best bang for the buck but there are others such as Ultimate Ears, JH Audio, Westone, Alien Ears, and others. There are single, dual, triple, quad and upwards driver models to choose from and to suit your budget.

You will then need to consider whether you will be using a wireless system or a wired set up. Both have their advantages, with wired set ups being definitely cheaper.

You ought to commit yourself to doing a ton of research here and on the web. I spent about 3 weeks trolling the web before I made my mind up.

You can also see some reviews on the HeadFi which has contributions from people who are nuts about IEM. Good luck

5. Register to disable this ad