1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

In market for 60-64 Pbass - Where did you find yours?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kmrumedy, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Kmrumedy

Kmrumedy

I was supposed to close a deal on a refin 61 Pbass this week. The deal was pretty much done just has to pass inspection. I sold a good "Keeper" to fund it. Had a fellow member check it out for me just to be safe and turns out the body wasn't original. So deal is off.

I am trying to find a "player grade" 60-64 PBass and having a hard time. I went through the classifieds here as far back as 2010 and discovered many I would have bought. The best deals anywhere on the net are here. However, at the moment there is not much for sale in the player level price range $3500-$4500.

I have been searching everywhere and just wondering if anyone here has places they search and would have suggestions.

I use the following sites:
    talkbass
    eBay
    Gbase.com
    reverb.com
    Kijiji
    ( I don't trust Craigslist).

Anything I am missing?

Also is it bad form when you see another members vintage bass to PM to ask if they would consider selling it?

Thanks
    John

2. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:

Try Kebo's vintage Bass Guitars.
    He may have what you want.
    You may find a refinished 60-64 for under 5k.
    A 100% original will run you 8k-10k.
    Good luck.

3. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    I don't know if it is bad form to pm somebody about lusting after their gear. I get PMs all the time guys wanting to buy my Hiwatts and Thunderbirds. I'm kinda annoyed and flattered at the same time lol. I suppose it can't hurt to ask.

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

He could definitely find one for less than $8k, they are just easier to find if he is willing to fork out that much. The prices OP wants are going to be a private sale. I would suggest you stick to Talkbass for cheap bass prices, Talkbass is a horrible place to sell but a great place to buy. Your hunting for a deal OP, you will just need to keep hunting.

I do not see the PM as offensive, if you have a sought after bass you cannot be surprised others want their shot at it. It is just like driving a nice car around, you will inevitably get somebody offering to buy it off you at a red light.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. brandau

brandau

I think there are good deals to be found on craigslist... Just use common sense. If it seems weird it probably is. Find something in NYC and take a trip down. I definitely wouldn't recommend buying a vintage bass(or really any bass) without playing it first.

7. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

TB Classifieds, scored a '63 refin'd P

8. Kmrumedy

Kmrumedy

Thanks. I just checked it out. Really nice stuff there. When they don't post a price ....you know it ain't gonna be cheap! lol

Again my budget will be either refin or stripped body (which I really like). I only care if the body, neck, and pickup are original. I can source anything else. Always been a player not a collector. Just looking for the right tool for an upcoming project.

9. Kmrumedy

Kmrumedy

I saw that! Do you have a pic of it?

Wanna sell? Hahahaa!

10. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

11. Kmrumedy

Kmrumedy

12. Kmrumedy

Kmrumedy

Thank you. The words "hangtag" and "mint" do not normally go hand in hand with my budget. lol

Oh....I have a US address. I have everything shipped to my friend in CT. It saves US sellers a ton of hassles.

13. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin

Check with Emerald City Guitars in Seattle. They always seem to have a good stock of vintage stuff, and might have what you are looking for. It wouldn't necessarily be right away, but then I don't know what all he has an eye on somewhere.

14. Kmrumedy

Kmrumedy

Thank you. Just checked it out. I will add them to the rotation. Good find.

15. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin

That shop is a very dangerous place for my wallet to go. They always have all kinds of great guitars and bass guitars, and on top of it they are very approachable, open people. I like them a lot. Since I'm local to them, I wander in there a couple times a month, just to get my dose of unobtanium and weird vintage stuff, but I hear Jay (the owner) talking to people all over the place all the time. I'm sure he would be happy to let you know what he's got on hand or has an eye on if you call. Last time I was in there, he was sending something to Argentina.

16. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

Not for sale, sorry :)

[​IMG]

17. Tbone76

Tbone76

What about elderly.com? They carry vintage instruments, and they currently have a 61 p-bass. It's definitely a player, and they're asking $3500. There's also Chicago Music Exchange.

18. Kmrumedy

Kmrumedy

Thanks.

I know the bass you mean at Elderly I passed on it. I checked out CME and their prices are crazy high. Even for dealers.

19. Kmrumedy

Kmrumedy

Sweeeeeeeeet!

20. extreme

extreme

If you want a real vintage Fender then that's what you want and I don't blame you. I'll just share that the only two I kept for long periods of time were ones I played before buying. Buying online is always a crapshoot that way.

Some of that risk can be taken away by going through a trusted bass guy such as Kebo and talking with him about just what's important to you.

Another good option is to put together a vintage spec instrument from parts. Musikraft makes some beautiful necks and has all kinds of options to meet different Fender eras if you know what you want/like.

21. Gecko 5

Gecko 5 Supporting Member

Kebo's and Chicago Music Exchange