1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

In need of input/opinions: Ashdown/Ibanez

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Salamenster, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Salamenster

Salamenster

Hi folks,

My Ibanez Promethean 1x10" P3110 combo doesn't cut it live. Was playing with a guitar player with a Vox AC30 at his place and had to push it all the way and I was lacking just a bit of bottom. However it is portable, so I'll definitely keep it for home/practice usage.

But I found it to be time to build my first 'live' rig. Live between quotation marks, because it doesn't have to be stadiumsize, but more like small/medium bar and outdoor gigs, mostly with good PA support.

I stumbled across a second-hand stack: Ashdown ABM 500 EVOIII + Korg DTR2000 tuner, running both an Ashdown ABM 2x10" and 1x15" for (only?!) around €850.

Because I know that mixing cabs isn't a great idea, and because I'm feeling that I won't need two cabs, I might sell the 1x15" IF I buy it.

Would the ABM 500 EVO III into the 2x10" w/tweeter give me the power I need for the type of gigs above listed? I try to play all types of style, but current band plays Classic Rock. Only 1 guitar player. My basses are a P-bass with flats and a Jazz with roto's.

My tonal preferences are BIG yet defined. I love a low-mid bump, but balanced overall (in case I need to switch from P-bass/flats to Jazz bass/round/pick from one song to another, I figured that the EQ in/out might come in handy here: Flat with the P, treble/hi mid boost with the J). I REALLY REALLY hate scooped mids! Also, I want to be heard first, then felt (but a nice combination is ofcourse perfect). I'm not scared of a SMALL edge of overdrive either.

Thoughts, please. I need them. :)
  2. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Even your Promethian should have enough power to keep up with an AC30 without breathing hard. You just need more speaker area. Are you in a position to borrow an 8 Ohm extension cabinet from someone, just to see how that works for you? Say, a 2x10?
  3. Salamenster

Salamenster

Nop. I can try one out in a store though. Would an extension give me my lows back?
  4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It will help, for sure. However IMO the very best compromise option would be to forget the 10 in the combo, use the combo just as a head, and get a biggish speaker cab/stack.

While the "mixing speaker sizes" thing is much criticized here, it is not nearly as much of an issue when combining a 115 with a 210 (both 8 ohms), because their speaker surface area and power handling will be reasonably similar. The setup that "we" tell people to avoid most is a 115 and a 410, because their abilities are so different.

If it was me, I'd at least try out that Ashdown stack.
  5. Bulldawg82

Bulldawg82 Supporting Member

I second the extension 2x10 approach. A single 1x10 is just for practice or quiet music. Adding a 2x10 will give you more low end and overall cut-through volume AND, if you stack it vertically, it will lower your footprint on stage. That is very helpful when you find yourself on a small stage. It may be (in the future) that you upgrade to a 2x10 combo (giving you a 4x10 with extension cab) and then just use your 1x10 for personal use.
  6. Salamenster

Salamenster

Thanks for the input! I'll at least try the ashdown for sure.