In/out and DC jack placement on pedals - What's your preference?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jordan S., Nov 18, 2012.

Where do you like your pedal jacks to be located?

Poll closed Feb 26, 2013.
  1. Top mounted

87 vote(s)
    27.6%
  2. Side mounted

95 vote(s)
    30.2%
  3. Randomly mounted

6 vote(s)
    1.9%
  4. Wherever, I'll make it work.

79 vote(s)
    25.1%
  5. Carrotz

48 vote(s)
    15.2%
  1. Jordan S.

Jordan S.

Disclosures:
    Blacksheep Effects Pedals
    Hey guys,

I'm designing and building my own pedals now, and I'm wondering where people like their input and output jacks placed on the pedal. I would guess that most people would like the In/out jacks top mounted, saving space on your pedal board. What would be ideal for you?

While we're at it, where do you prefer your DC jack to be placed?

2. Vlad5

Vlad5 Chronic Knob Twiddling Tone Chaser Supporting Member

randomly mounted... heh, I pictured that in my head and giggled a bit... But then I chose top mounted, as that is my favorite design. :)

3. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Most important is that you can use angled plugs without them interfering with each other.

4. fleizenkruz

fleizenkruz

top mounted makes it pedalboard friendly

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I voted "wherever." Top mounting is cool, but I'll adapt to it if the sound of the pedal works for me.

7. FreshTrooperXBL

FreshTrooperXBL

I would say north side of pedal, top would be where you step :p

8. Dark Barn

Dark Barn Supporting Member

Top mounted every time! I'll buy a pedal with side jacks if it's the right one for the job, but all things being equal I'd prefer top mounted every second of every day. People who are voting for "Whatever, I'll make it work" ... what is wrong with you people?

Pick a side at least! So passive, here's a builder asking what you would prefer and so many are saying, "whatever".

The OP is like a waiter standing at the side of your table asking you if you want cracked pepper on your food. You're just gonna shrug?

:atoz:

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    What? I'm supposed to pretend like I care when I don't?

10. icecycle66

icecycle66

I like putting the jacks in different locations on the side.
    l.....l
    l.....0
    0....l
    l.....l

That way when I have to pedals side be side, the cables don't butt up against each other.

I do not like top mounted jacks because I like to keep about 3/4 of an in seperation between my pedals, braced against each other by the cables. With the top mounted jacks it's inevitable that the pedals start bumping against each other.

11. Knettgummi

Knettgummi

Top mounted -- and preferably with the DC jack on top as well.

12. Dark Barn

What? I'm supposed to vote when I don't care?

:)

13. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I've never once bought or sold a pedal because the power jack was in the wrong location. I can honestly say that I've never given any thought to it or cared.

14. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

Non-issue for me as well. I recall seeing only one pedal (an old orange Boss powersource thing) with the jacks on the face of the pedal. THAT's a problem.

15. jtl1380

jtl1380

I chose "whatever". I prefer if the power jack is on the top and the I/O jacks are on the sides, but these things not being the case has never stopped me from buying the right pedal. If I was having a custom pedal being built, I'd choose this way, but otherwise, no big deal.

16. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc

The one thing that I don't like about having everything (audio jacks and power) top-mounted is that my power daisy chain uses right-angled power plugs, and there just isn't room for everything. How the hell do you guys get around that?

17. Dark Barn

Fair enough, do you also not care about pedal board real estate at all? Some people have more room than they'll ever need, or don't use boards at all so I appreciate why it wouldn't matter to them.

Jack placement on top allows for tidier wiring if you are using a pedaltrain type board and tighter spacing if you are using any kind of board at all. I actually don't care about the jack placement or even the tidy wiring, but the space I do care about, having had to make tough decisions in the past about what stays or goes based on real estate.

That said I have a few clown sized pedals that could have been made smaller, *cough Mtnkng cough* that I'll never part with and I own a few pedals with side jacks and GAS for a few more, and the jack placement won't be the final arbiter of where my money goes. It's just one of many factors but to me it does matter, just a little, but enough to have an opinion about it.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    OK, so you have a slightly stronger opinion than most. Yay. Why are you so worried about other people's opinions?

19. El-Bob

El-Bob

Well, since you're a builder looking for preferences, I prefer top... but I use very few pedals, so I can easily work with anything (I don't use a board, I have a distortion and a blend, and they just sit on the floor).

20. Hapa

Hapa

Boutique pedal person - Ibanezsr500
    Design a pedal with swivel jacks. 1/4" on a metal plate that swings. Done. See you in hall E at NAMM :)

21. Dark Barn

What is your problem Jimmy, did I offend you?

Edit: whatever I've said up to now in this thread was not directed personally, just broadly goading people who have no opinion, but it wasn't meant to offend, sorry if it did.