1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

In/Out Jack Assembly for Pedalboard... Help!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by djwackfriz, Nov 5, 2007.

1. djwackfriz

djwackfriz

Hey all

I'm really getting into building my own pedalboard, with everything mounted and as stable and permanent as possible - my setup doesn't change much and I have almost everything I need.

One question I have as an amateur electronics builder is: I'd like to have the input and output jacks of my board (before and after the loop, that is) mounted on the wood, so that all I have to do is plug my bass into one jack and plug my amp into the output. I'm planning on using Neutrik Locking 1/4" jacks, but I'm not sure exactly how to work with these.

Once they are mounted into the wood, I understand that they accept the 1/4" cable of my guitar, but... what do I connect them to? Ideally the signal should go from my guitar cable into the jack, then to the first pedal, then pedal to pedal, then to the output jack. What do I connect the jacks to to have them accept a patch cable/instrument cable from the pedal? Can 2 jacks be wired back to back? I'm lost here, no idea where to even find info on this...

edit: here's what I mean...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Stu L.

Stu L.

I think this would be better served in the effects forum :).

Why not just connect the instrument cable into the first and last pedals as normal (in from guitar, out to amp)? If you insist on using the locking Neutrik jacks (which is not a bad thing) then you'll need standard two conductor instrument cable and two 1/4" jacks. You may have an extra guitar cable you could use to cut down to length already. Pretty simple actually.

EDIT, nice looking board. It was posted after my reply was started :). I think that board could also benefit from a Neutrik Power Conn connectors too :smug:

3. djwackfriz

djwackfriz

Aha! so just wire one 1/4" jack to another 1/4" jack, plug one cable in each and that's it? Too simple! Thanks!

??? If i'm using stereo jacks, do I need 3 conductor wire?

P.S. thanks for the move, I wasn't sure if it was an electronics or effects question...:ninja:

4. Stu L.

Stu L.

I didn't move it, I was just suggesting that you may get more replies over there.

Nah, just the tip and sleeve of the stereo jack would need to be used. It's a pretty simple setup.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. djwackfriz

djwackfriz

Gotcha. Thanks for the tips Stu!

One more question... could you explain a little more about those Powercon connectors? I'm new at this and don't recognize how I would use it... it's for AC power, but do I need it if I'm already using a Power Brick inside the board?

7. Stu L.

Stu L.

No problem :)

Do you intend to use a removable power cord to power the board? Then, IMO, yes. It's actually a two part set up, one is a receptacle on the board, and the other is a jack mounted connector to it. It locks in place (very much like a Speak On speaker connector, except for AC power). No chance of it getting pulled out by mistake.

If you plan on plugging your Brick directly into a wall, then no worry there.

8. djwackfriz

djwackfriz

OK. I'm getting there, but still dumb. :confused:

so this thing:
    [​IMG]

mates with this thing:
    [​IMG]

and the power runs through it ... but how do I connect this assembly with the power cable(s)? Do I need to wire something, or is there a three-prong on the back that I'm missing...??

Thanks again for all the help, you're saving my life (maybe literally!!)

9. Stu L.

Stu L.

If you're not comfortable with the electrical wiring part, seek qualified help :D.

Again, I'm not too familiar with the DC Brick and how the power cord connects to it. If it is with the common computer style removable power cord, simply snip the 3 prong plug and excess length off and attach it to the internal side of the second image you posted.

A standard power cord (of desired length) would be used from the wall to the first image (cable mounted).

10. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

That would be correct.

Moved.

11. niftydog

niftydog

Dude, mains wiring is NOT to be toyed with, from what I'm reading I would recommend you do not attempt to wire the mains power without first seeking some help from someone who's qualified.

Doesn't the DC brick have a wall wart? Then you don't need mains wired to it at all then, do you?

12. djwackfriz

djwackfriz

Yeah, good call on that... I've decided to forego the mains wiring and just install an IEC chassis... I usually keep my board out of reach of feet, so I think the chance of the cord being pulled out is pretty small. If need be, I can always change it.

Thanks again for all the tips folks!