1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

In-person cross-border sales (US to Canada)

Discussion in 'Classifieds Usage Discussion and Help' started by blixild, Jan 22, 2014.

1. blixild

blixild Supporting Member

I live in Buffalo, NY, and as such a large portion of my "local sale" radius is in Canada. I've gotten a few requests from members for me to cross the border into Canada to sell the item (usually they can't come into the US for one reason or another).

I've searched and searched, but I can't find any information about what this would entail in terms of going through customs, paying taxes and duties, etc. There's plenty of info out there about shipping to Canada, but nothing about in-person private sales.

Does anyone have experience in this area to share? What did you have to do at the border crossings? What did you have to pay and what is the buyer's responsibility?

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Sub'd...but with one question:

Unless disclosed by you, how would the border authority know you were planning on selling the instrument in your possession?

Riis

3. handofseven

handofseven Soaking up the cathode rays... Supporting Member

I've crossed the border, Canada into the US, in order to ship items I sold here, because it's a lot cheaper. If the border official asks me if I'm bringing anything with me that won't be coming back, I simply answer them honestly. I have yet to encounter any trouble...

To OP: Do you cross into Canada very often? What kind of questions do they ask you?

4. blixild

blixild Supporting Member

I visit Canada at least once a year.

The guaranteed minimum questions are:
    • Where are you headed?
    • How long are you staying?
    • What are you bringing with you?

Sometimes this is all I get asked, but I've been grilled with dozens of questions before too. And I've been pulled aside for a random vehicle search two out of the past five times I've gone... so I definitely would declare it.

It's a good sign that the US customs agent didn't give any hassle bringing it in... in my experience crossing into the US is often more scrutinized, even for a US citizen. But then again I'm not sure how Canadian import laws differ.

5. Register to disable this ad