In praise of pork loin

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by wolffire99, Aug 18, 2013.

1. wolffire99

wolffire99 Supporting Member

I got to use the Way Huge Pork Loin live for the first time today and wow it's so great for bass. The clean blend is really what makes it for me. Zero low end loss and it's just so creamy smooth. You could easily use this as an always on pedal in any kind of rock/pop/high energy setting.

2. 254 stringer

254 stringer Supporting Member

Yes I love mine. I have bought and sold many pedals but the pork loin has remained on my board since day one. Used mine today as always on in a classic punk cover band.

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Love the Pork Loin!

Its gargantuan size is the only reason I replaced mine.

4. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

+1 It's the quintessential overdrive for just adding more of what your bass already has, filling out the sound without compression or farting and without sacrificing any low end. I don't even think the clean blend has much to do with it; I still have tons of beef with the clean dialed all the way off. It would be great as a stand-alone, but on a PT Nano with other pedals, it's just a bit massive for what it is.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. moles

moles

How do you guys set yer internal pots on the Pork Loin? I gave one an in-store trial once, and what I was getting out of it was not a nice sound. Like a bunch of pink-noise slamming the front end of a cheap set of ADA converters. Not overly "nasty", since it was a very soft sound, but not what I was expecting. Anyway after owning a Swollen Pickle II I know the internal settings make a big difference...

7. wolffire99

Mine are set to factory. What you are describing is what I hear when the clean is turned down, I like it all the way up.

8. winterburn69

winterburn69

Ohhh yeahhh! Love that Pork Loin! No low end loss, light and subtle "natural" sounding overdrive to full on kinda-fuzzy overdrive. Pretty much perfect. It's one of my 2 favorites (the other being the Bass-Drive Mosfet).

Can't recall my internal settings atm, but I know I played with them when I got it, I'll check later.

9. wolffire99

Exactly, I even had a couple people from the audience comment on how much better they could hear me without knowing what I had changed. So I think it also helps cut through.

10. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure I played with the internal settings and then put them back to the factory defaults. I agree, the Pork Loin sounds great with bass.

11. Crabby

Crabby

I just picked one up and like it so much better then any other drive pedal I have ever used on bass. My Xotic was too gritty, my Fulltone Bass Drive killed too much low end, my OCD was much better but the Pork Loin is just perfect for adding some warm grit without losing anything.

12. Gilian24

Gilian24

I'm looking for a warm kinda dark overdrive.. is there much difference between the mxr bass overdrive and pork loin?

13. AndyLES

AndyLES

Interesting...my band also plays classic punk covers (www.punk77nyc.com). I'm happy with my MXR M80 and Boss ODB-3 (the latter is the "always on"), but I'm always curious to see and hear anything that might be better...

14. Worshipbass12

Worshipbass12

All maxed :D

15. Crabby

Crabby

Mine's a keeper!

[​IMG]

16. horrorshowbass

horrorshowbass

Jumblemind, Ive had a Pork Loin for couple of months now and as much as i want to love it, the pedal farts a lot on the low E when i really dig in. its the same with my active Ibanez and Fender copy passive. ive tried changing power supplys and with/without my other pedals(it really sounds squashed with the BDDI). Am I missing something maybe with the internal trim pots? i have a Hardwire CM2 pedal and love it and thought Pork Loin was similar. Plan was to have Pork Loin for subtle boost while guitarist solos and Hardwire for crazier stuff. Any help would be greatly appreciated(girlfriend bought me this pedal so actually feel guilty for not liking it, silly i know:scowl::atoz:

17. Worshipbass12

Worshipbass12

You can sell or trade it to me :D

18. horrorshowbass

horrorshowbass

For a Darkglass?;)
    nah id never do that, my girlfriend got it for me after me raving bout reviews so its close to my heart. Can get it to sound great with pick but when i use fingers it farts.

19. Worshipbass12

Worshipbass12

Have you adjusted the internal trim pots at all?

20. Sonic Freak

Sonic Freak

You guys make me want to get this Pork loin!! (I love my way huge Swollen pickle...!) However, I have a sansamp bddi prog and i'm wondering how different would the Pork loin be from the bddi (which I really like!) ??

21. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

I think you'll find any overdrive will fart down low when you dig in. You are essentially hitting the JFETS (or whatever circuitry is being used for emulation) with extra gain, and that overloads/overdrives them. Most kick into full on compression at that stage, and that to me is the farting, which is kind of quintessential tube behavior and the MO of pretty much every overdrive pedal ever except the Darkglass VMT and B3k . Of all the overdrives I've tried, the Pork Loin is one of the least susceptible to this compression/farting by its design (VMT is the tops in this category). The Hardwire CM-2 does this with hardly any pushing at all, so I'm surprised that you say it's better than the Pork Loin in that sense. Maybe you should indeed try fiddling with the internal trim pots; I have no idea what to suggest there, as I never cracked mine open to look since it sounded so good, but there are threads where the factory settings are discussed. FWIW, I don't think the Pork Loin is a great candidate for solo boost-type stuff but is great for "subtle boost" duties like you describe, so something is definitely up.

As for getting squashed with your BDDI, which pedal are you running first?

Yeah, welcome to overdrives. See the above comment about input gain. If you are heavy handed, you should check out the Darkglass VMT. Awesome crunchy, darker, vintage-vibe tones with no farting no matter how hard you hit it. Keep the Pork Loin, of course. :)