In praise of the Hughes and Kettner BATT!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by christw, Nov 2, 2012.

1. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    I feel the need to share with TB how incredibly useful this little box has been to me. Since I purchased it in mid August I have probably logged more hours on my BATT than everything else this year. It honestly goes with me everywhere.

Here are some reasons this thing is infinitely useful:

-Silent practice/recording: At night I plug my BATT into a USB interface and have headphone rehearsals to myself. I've used it numerous times for recording with variety of artists and scenarios.

-Practice amp: I use the tube amp out into various cabinets for the fun of it. Plugging into the B-15 cab nets me bassy bliss and 5 watts isn't enough to piss anyone off by the time you get sweet breakup.

-Portability: The BATT fits into my gig bags front pouches. It makes a great small footprint on the go practice/acoustic jam amp with my Columbia 360 speakers that fold together into an 8" cube.

-Preamp: I use this almost exclusively for electric bass. I can patch directly into the PA, into an amplifier, and into a power amp all at once if I wanted! I can also do a dry/wet signal blend outboard.

-Backup: Again, it fits in a gig bag and functions as a preamp. If your rig dies, pull this out and plug into the PA!

-TUBES! This thing weighs a couple of pounds and lets me bring a familiar tube tone anywhere I take my instrument. That's HUGE!

Best $265 I ever spent! If only they made a 6SL7 version too... :bag: :D

No pics no amp blah blah blah...

[​IMG]
  2. BrentSimons

BrentSimons Supporting Member

I wanted one of those since I read a review in Bass Player eons ago. I've seen a few but never pulled the trigger on one. I was always buying something else at the time when one would pop up. I'm glad you're enjoying your purchase. Looks like it's in good shape too!
    Take Care,
    Brent
  3. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    I pulled the trigger on a whim and am sure glad I did! I had to revive this thread because this is such a useful little box.

I just used it with the upright for a "silent" practice session on some tracks for a project that's kicking off in two weeks. Just running the Six Rounds Double Barrel into the box sounded great! I might try this as a preamp for my upright until the fdeck is fixed. :)
  4. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

I've had mine for years; I use it now and then.

Best use was in the studio; I could feed a bass track through the BATT, like an effect, to get a good tube-amp sound during the mix.

Some info here: http://www.cfcl.com/rick/personal/batt.html
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bassmann1968

Bassmann1968

I got it for many years and love the tone and how versatile it is.
    Mine is called H&K Bassmaster how it was called in Europe.
    If you can find one, get it!
  7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I use its close cousin the Blues Master, and it's easily one of my favorite tone devices.