In praise of the humble SX

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rick Moors, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Rick Moors

Rick Moors

I took my SX Jazz Bass copy on a short road trip because, well........it's a cheap bass, but damn, it sounds consistently good even with a series of backline gear that ran the gamut from good to barely adequate. I use this same bass for Reggae gigs and it works equally well, D'Addario Chrome flats.

Here's a little clip:

I know the SX debate is never ending, but if you can find a better road bass for under $200, you'd better snag it.
  2. nickn

nickn Supporting Member

Sounds great!
  3. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

SX's will never stop getting praise from me. Great knockoff basses.

Kurt has something on the Rondo website very similar to what you're talking about. For players who want a good workhorse bass to take on the road or just to have as a reliable beater bass.

I just wish they kept the old headstock.....Then they'd be perfect. ;)
  4. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Relax... Nothing Is Under Control. Supporting Member

Great tone for sure. Was that a hartke cab with an LMIII? Do you recall the settings?
  5. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

nice dude! Tone fer days!
  6. bassbenj

bassbenj

Yup. But what are those FINGERPRINTS I noticed all over that fine SX? Shame.

Still that cheap Chinese can't ever sound better than a Fender :bag:

(he says as the owner of SEVEN SX basses and a "real" Fender that never gets played)
  7. Demon_Hunter

Demon_Hunter

Another question is what's that splooge on that tele!?!?
  8. Risen Ashes

Risen Ashes

Nice tone!
  9. Rick Moors

Rick Moors

It was a backline amp, a Hartke combo. I think I just set if flat. They were also taking a direct out to the board, so I don't know what the combo was for the mix, but the flats on the SX seem to make a good natural "compressor." The tone thankfully doesn't vary to much from amp to amp.
  10. ::::BASSIST::::

So I'm assuming that the recording was off the board then? Sounded very good for live. Great guitar player too.
  11. Mr L

Mr L

Just ordered a fretless one a few days ago, can't wait to get my hands on it. Heard great things about the quality and the price is absolutely sexy.
  12. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Gold Supporting Member

Had a Korean Tone short scale ebg that I bought at Sam Ash. It was a simple two knob job that was a great guitar for a gig bag and go, comparable to the SX in many ways. Traded it and miss it.

I often wonder about the real difference the boutique and the mass production line models. The detail work for sho is better but the sound and durability?
  13. ::::BASSIST::::

I've owned about 5 SXs over the years. Honestly, the new Squires are *much better* in terms of fit and finish. Tone is in the 'ear of the beholder' but the Squires sound pretty dang good. I bought my Squire shortscale Jag for about $150. Sure thats a few bucks more than the SXs but really the Squires are very much worth it... leaps and bounds better than SX.

Still there is no denying that tone of that clip. Great stuff.
  14. BootzillaSun

BootzillaSun

I agree the Squier VM a verry nice. i have 2 a VM Jazz4 and a VM jazz deluxe 5. Yesterday i ordered a Ursa 6 string bass for $188 shipped and can't wait because everything i have seen and heard of the SX bass is grate. this is only way i would get a jazz style 6, considering Fenders steve Bailey is like $3000:meh:
  15. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

They're good basses, great considering the price, and perfect candidates for upgrades if you like tweaking things.
  16. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

I've had several - The SX products offer an incredible value, and Kurt is simply the best to deal with.

How the SX products can be made so well and sold so cheaply is amazing.
  17. notverygood

notverygood

I bought a fretless short scale, and I'm pretty pleased with it. I love sx selection, you simply can't find some of the stuff they sell without paying $1000 at Warmoth. Not to mention Douglas and Brice. Brice short scale six string bass made out of bubinga for $299? You just won't see that anywhere else.
  18. Dave Bassincus

Dave Bassincus

Sounds really good, but I'd guess a lot of tone is coming from the player. SX is just a high- quality-for-the-cost conduit. Which is nothing to put down, of course.
  19. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Nice clip and great tone! Love my SX Jazz bass. It has been my main player for several months now. Mine has been modded quite a bit but I still have under $250 in it. IMO it's on par with any Fender I have owned.
  20. jamestown94west

jamestown94west

+1

That Tele is gonna have some sweet lookin play wear after awhile.