1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

In search of a new dirt pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sk8, Jan 9, 2014.

1. sk8

sk8

I've done a lot of searching and research on here and YouTube etc but fancy a change

I've recently been relying on my wren and cuff box of war for my dirt needs having junked my OD for pedalboard real estate but I'm missing it. As much as I love the fuzz I'd like some light and shade to go with it.

My go to OD pedal was a TS808 monte allum modded SD1 which I had on my board for years and was what I tended to measure other OD's against. I'm not after a low gain OD, I want something with balls and probably verging on distortion. I've had the following

TS9B bass tubescreamer - not enough gain
    TS808 Clone - not enough gain
    Mad Professor blueberry bass OD - to dark
    EBS metal Drive - very similar to the SD1 but didn't float my boat
    DHA VT1 Eq Bass Drive - didn't really like the OD
    subdecay super nova drive - something missing although a great pedal
    Catalinbread SFT
    Aguila Agro
    SFX red Dragon - to low gain
    TC rottweiller - to flabby on bass at higher settings
    TC dark matter
    TC Nova System
    Crowther audio Prunes and custard
    Tech 21 VT bass

Think that's it!

I'm thinking a main contender is the Dark glass B3k/B7k and the Joyo ultimate drive. I'm not after tube breakup necessarily but I'm not discounting it. The Nova drive could be another option.

Looking for some ideas. Thanks in advance
  2. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    At $30 the Joyo is cheap to try. I just got one, and it'll be covering dirt on my small board, didn't quite beat out the Pork Loin for my big board (if it had a clean blend it just might).
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The Joyo is a really good pedal that will do anything from clean boost to raging near-fuzz.
  4. stinky634

stinky634 Supporting Member

I haven't tried the Joyo, but at 30 bucks it can't hurt to try.

Have you tried the Angler?

If it was my money if get the B3K, sounds awesome from what I hear.
  5. NoxNoctus

NoxNoctus The Crushinator Supporting Member

Why not try the Source Audio OFD? Some great tube drives, low gain drive, distortion, and an epic fuzz section. I have a B3K and an OFD and as much as I love the B3K, the OFD has a loooot to offer. I can cop a Vintage Micro tube sound fairly easily on it, and the Octave Fuzz is worth the price of the pedal alone.
  6. sk8

sk8

7. Cloverfield

Cloverfield Supporting Member

I would say you owe it to yourself to try the following:

1) Source Audio SB2 OFD
    2) Fuzzrocious The Demon
    3) Darkglass B#K

Cheers.
  8. sk8

sk8

Okay I've gone custom with Tom at Cog Effects

It will basically be two Knightfalls in one box with LED, MOSFET, and silicon options for each plus internal trim posts on the gain so I can make one low gain (to use as a dirty boost etc) and one higher gain for more main stream duties. Each switched individually with the ability to stack.
  9. Voss451

Voss451

I've heard good things about the Amptweaker Tight Rock and the Brimstone XD-1.