In the absence of bass lessons....

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by ebonalley, Dec 25, 2012.

1. ebonalley

ebonalley Supporting Member

So I recently moved to rural farm country and there are no bass guitar lessons. In the absence of a bass instructor what will be more helpful to my bass playing growth a) guitar lessors or b) piano lessons? I figure guitar lessons will help me with the chords but I already have access to a keyboard and piano seems to be great foundation instrument. Your thoughts?
  2. Mushroo

Mushroo

Piano for sure, it is such an important instrument for learning music theory and harmony.

I'm currently working through the Bach Cello Suites on piano and it's been great for my bass-clef reading.
  3. Lo-E

Lo-E

Consider bass teachers who offer lessons electronically. There are quite a few now who will do video lessons online.

In leu of that, I'd suggest piano.
  4. Randyt

Randyt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Adult Pampers
    Without Question:....Piano...
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

Good question. For the long haul, piano with out a doubt. However, for the short haul rhythm guitar has a lot going for it as well.

I found my experience playing rhythm guitar, from fake chord and lead sheet music, folded into playing the bass, i.e. the learning curve from rhythm guitar to electric bass was not all that difficult.

I also found my experience playing the keyboard and the theory involved with that was a great help when I started bass.

So.... Rhythm guitar for immediate help. Piano for the long haul.
  7. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

8. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    In a small town you're more likely to find a piano teacher who can address fundamentals such as reading and theory, which would definitely benefit your bass playing.
  9. ebonalley

All, thanks for your help. Merry Christmas.
  10. MarkMgibson

MarkMgibson

Another vote for piano. I actually took music theory lessons with a piano teacher, and it was the best thing I ever did. If you do go this option, point out to the teacher that you're more interested in learning music theory than piano technique (assuming that's true). Keyboards are so much more intuitive than other instruments when it comes to learning theory.
  11. throughthefire

throughthefire

+1

If you want lessons from a live person, go for piano; everything you learn there can be moved onto guitar/bass quite easily, and it makes the music theory side of things fall into place.
  12. ebonalley

That's a nice website. I'm just about done with studybass.com and this looks like a nice follow on. Thanks.
  13. Woodstockz

Woodstockz

A couple of things:
    1. Piano. I messed around with tabs for a while, until I started looking at the bass as a piano. Then things really clicked for me. [James Jamerson also played the piano when he first got started.]

2. If you can't find a formal teacher, find an experienced local bass player as a mentor that can help you with some technical issues to get started on the right foot.

3. Find some friends to jam with.

4. Have fun. Bass is the most fun instrument.