1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

In The Heat Of The Night

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by lowfreq33, Dec 4, 2012.

1. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Anyone else watch this show from the 80's just to hear the killer fretless bass on the soundtrack? The bass is the main instrument on most of the music cues.

Anyone know who the player was?
  2. pflash4001

pflash4001

I always thought the music on that show was cool. Loved the show for being a cheesy kinda crime show. I did think Althea was pretty cute...
  3. bluewine

bluewine

I love that show WGN out of Chicago plays back to back episodes 7 days a week.

By the way the bass was the main instrument on most music cues for all TV shows in the 70s.

Blue
  4. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Yeah that's the channel I catch it on as well.
  5. millsbass5

millsbass5

Every time I stop by my parents house, my Dad is posted up in his recliner, watching this show (or, Walker,Texas Ranger. Don't ya just love Norris' vocals?lol). And, now I gotta put up with it on here, too?:p BTW, I'm pretty damn sure my mother wants to kill the creators of both shows. She can't get a word in sideways while these shows are on. Which is all day, btw.
  6. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    You know, it seems like any time some show comes on that I remember my parents watching when I was a kid the soundtrack is always bass heavy. Maybe that's why I gravitated towards the instrument.
  7. HolmeBass

HolmeBass

Like the theme to Barney Miller? Or Sanford and Son? Who is smoking the bass line on Sanford and Son, is it Carol Kaye? It seems like the period where she was working with Quincy Jones alot. Deft doesn't come close to doing it justice, it's simply wicked.
  8. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Maybe Abe Laboriel? He did the fretless work on CHIPS, in fact he'd play to a screening of the chase scenes, and they'd orchestrate the rest of the cue from his bass. He did a lot of TV and movie work on that era.

I almost started a thread yesterday while watching the show.

John