1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

In the market for a 'bird? You have a new option now...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by calypsocoral302, Jan 23, 2013.

1. calypsocoral302

calypsocoral302

Since I haven't seen anyone else post this yet, I'll take it upon myself to introduce you to the new basses from DBZ Guitars.

For those of you unfamiliar with this make, DBZ was originally founded by Dean B. Zelinsky (founder of Dean Guitars) and business partner Jeff Diamante (of Diamond Amplification).

Unfortunately, some time back in late 2011 or early 2012, Zelinsky and Diamante had a falling-out, so now Zelinsky is making guitars under the name "Dean Zelinsky Private Label." In the meantime, Jeff Diamante decided to continue running DBZ Guitars, and adding the "Diamond" moniker to the newer stuff.

Zelinsky did add one series of basses while he was still at DBZ-- basically long-neck versions of his "Imperial" thin-bodied archtop:
    [​IMG]
    The original Zelinsky version had a single MM-style pickup, whereas this new Diamond model has a P/J setup, with the P in the "mudbucker" position.

New for this year is a bass version of their "Barchetta" guitar:
    [​IMG]
    The pickup locations kind of remind me of that "Classic Player" Tele bass that recently came out...

And also new for this year, a little twist on the T-bird, called HailFire:
    [​IMG]

Anyway, I thought they were kind of cool, and this is one of those makes that seems to still be under the radar, so I thought I'd point them out.
  2. Durockrolly

Durockrolly

I like the looks of that HailFire!!!
  3. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Nicely sculpted bodies. The Barchetta fiver looks intriguing.
  4. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight Supporting Member

Those are all killer looking instruments. I really dig the Hailfire. I even see a slight Explorer influence to the body. While I often don't dig the "guitar shapes that look like medival weapons" thing, I always dug the Dean Spire series. Unfortunately, it looks like there aren't any five string Hailfires. :(

Was never a fan of DBZ, though. It takes like four episodes just to get through one battle. :D
  5. mfbolton

mfbolton Freelance Bassist Supporting Member

That HailFire looks really cool. I could see replacing my Epiphone with one, would have to try one first though.
  6. vishuddha

vishuddha 100% Mediocre Supporting Member

That Hailfire looks incredible. If I could get my hands on a purple, blue, green, or white one, I would be in Heaven.
  7. 5stringfindlay

5stringfindlay

I'm a T-Bird guy and I really like the look of that HailFire. Nobody's really done anything noteworthy with that design since the 'bird was conceived.
  8. bassgod76

bassgod76 Cort bassist by obligation Supporting Member

Love the curves on the Hailfire. Especially the black stained one! Delish!
  9. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

It's pretty cool, but very reminiscent of the First Act Delgada design... Also, I think I like the simplicity of the original reverse Bird design a little bit more... That being said, it sure is pretty.