In the middle of a quandry....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kitsapbass, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass A.K.A. Pimp Lucius Supporting Member

I'd like to get the advice of the Talkbass forum if I could. I have a friend that plays bass locally. He's really interested in picking up one of my basses for a song pretty much. I have no problem selling it to him...except for the timeframe. He told me last March that he wanted it, said he'd get it when he got the money...then I found out he spent his tax return. Again, no big deal...but then tells me he'll get it with next years refund. This, of course, leaves me with the decision of whether to sell it to him in the first place. I hadn't planned on selling it, but great guy...who can't manage his money. What would you suggest?
  2. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration Supporting Member

If he flashes enough cash to buy your bass, sell it to him if you want. This year, next year. Its your bass to sell or not.
    DO NOT front him your instrument without the full agreed on amount, or you may never see the money. I've known people like this.
    You are not in the business of financing your friend.

No cash - No bass... Period
  3. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass A.K.A. Pimp Lucius Supporting Member

I know. Its been sitting in my wine cellar/bass room with batteries out since March...
  4. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration Supporting Member

If you're really intent on selling it, dont hold your breath for your friend.
    List it here on TB or CL if you need to move it. Otherwise - keep it...
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

If you don't really want to sell it don't worry about it. If he ever shows you the money and you're still interested, then sell it.

I would never expect someone to "hold" something like that for me for a YEAR. That's ridiculous.
  7. xUptheIronsx

xUptheIronsx Conform or Be Cast Out.... Gold Supporting Member

I agree with the above...unless he has put some money down on it, it is fair game if you want it to be....