In through the out door:thoughts??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bassdude15, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

Led zeppelin's last proper studio album was, in many ways, a disappointment. Gone was the off-beat funk of the rhythm section, with John Bonham resigning himself to cymbal accents and a few brief, relaxed rolls; JPJ likewise seems to have favored synthesizers over the usual graceful arpeggios and efficient yet agressive breakdowns he played on bass. The smooth lilt of Jimmy's lead lines is still there, albeit in a less heavily distorted, more technically straightforward form. Only Plant seems to have retained his signature style, with the vocals as wailing and powerful as ever.
    As for the songs themselves: though they we supported well by JPJ's skillfull synth work, they suffer overall because of the lapses by Page and Bonham; with the exceptions of In The Evening and Carouselambra, the songs sound one-dimensional and half-baked.
    This album has seen a bit more praise in recent years, but IMO the initial negative critical assesments hit the nail on the head:C-.
    Anyone else have any opinions on this last testament of the Gods of the Arena??
    Thanks,
    Bassdude15
  2. dmac1961

dmac1961

Personally, I really enjoyed it when it came out. I found it to be refreshingly different from the previous catalog. I would much rather hear a band change things up than stick with a tried and true formula ( a la Boston).
  3. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

I'm Gonna Crawl is one of my favorite Zep tunes!
  4. prd004

prd004

It's certainly not my fave, or even top four or five, but it's a good album.

I have read the heavy influence of keys/synth by JPJ was due to Jimmy showing up late so Jones and Plant just started writing.

Different than the others? Indeed, but would more of the same have been better? Probably not. We'll never know.

I certainly could have done without Hot Dog
  5. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Supporting Member

My personal fav is Caruselambra.
    Everything about that song makes it their.last classic! The synth parts, the melody, and my memory of listening to that song at midnight on Carpinteria beach with the surf rolling in hanging with older teens smoking my first bowl.
    In many ways, this was a coming of age record for.me.
  6. Immigrant

Immigrant

I read somewhere...

That In Through The Out Door was a very JPJ-heavy recording because Jimmy Page's heroin addiction was at it's peak, so it was really the only album he didn't micro-manage.

I can't remember where I read that, but I believe it.
  7. Marial

Marial Proud Papa Supporting Member

It's certainly better than Presence, in my opinion.
  8. prd004

prd004

One of the reasons I love talkbass:

This thread made me dust off my In Through The Out Door CD.

I forgot how badass Jonses bass playing was on Carouselambra
  9. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Supporting Member

Everything about Caruselambra is badass! It's like a mini Symphony in four parts.