1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Incognito- new to me!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by chaosMK, Nov 7, 2012.

1. chaosMK

chaosMK

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    These guys are great. Solid, fun live show... drummer and bassist are great. I like the bassists musical judgement and execution. Never heard of them until I found them mentioned in a Craigslist ad (granted, I mainly listen to modern metal).

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I love Incognito, heck I love acid jazz... check out the Brand New Heavies, since you've obviously heard of Jamiroquai. I only heard of Incognito last year myself.
  3. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

Man, you should hear them with their old bassist - Randy Hope-Taylor!
  4. chaosMK

chaosMK

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I am digging the Brand New Heavies. I like this sound overall... a little retro and jazzy.
  5. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

Check out Corduroy's first album, "Dad Man Cat" - some really nice bass playing on that.
  6. MixBass

MixBass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Co-founder. GrabAxe
    Incognito is a lesson in groovin and lockin down. I find it similar to the old Bernard Edwards/Chic thing as far as bass groove/discipline goes. I haven't kept up with the last few discs but the older stuff was goin to school.
  7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Do a youtube search. There is a full length anniversary concert that has almost everyone who's ever been in the band. Check it out if you can.
  8. Fretless1!

Fretless1!

Incognito = The BOMB! :)
  9. Spino

Spino

Randy Hope Taylor...one of the best EVER .
  10. caligula

caligula

+1

My all time favorite is their first album. Only 3 vocal tracks, the rest is instrumental, some of the best bass grooves I've ever heard.
    The band seems to be kinda unknown in the US, I'm surprised some say they only heard of them recently.
    Shame RHT doesn't do much these days.
  11. Spino

Spino

I saw him last Christmas playing with a bunch of musicians in a small club in the center of London ...had to look twice ,he can still do it from what I heard.
  12. Alex J

Alex J Supporting Member

The bass on the first album is actually by Paul 'Tubbs' Williams, an absolute monster. He was like 19 or something at the time as well.

Incognito - Sunburn (1981)
  13. caligula

caligula

My bad, I meant "Tribes, Vibes, Scribes" with RHT (incl. "Colibri", "Change" & "I love what you do for me").
    For some reason I was under the impression it was their first album.
    Anyway, great stuff.
  14. cnltb

cnltb

Then there is 'Inside life' with Randy as well.
    I think that's the second one. No?
  15. Marty Forrer

Marty Forrer

This ^^^^^^
  16. cnltb

cnltb

There are more really good players involved though, that I think deserve a mention...Julian Crampton being one of them.:)
  17. mixtapelove

mixtapelove

I'm a fan.... I don't know who really played what or when, since they appear to have had a long list of changing personnel, but I usually dig it. I tend like the instrumental, more jazzy tracks in the catalog.

I got into them from hearing a couple of tunes on the Weather Channel, of all things.
  18. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

+ 1000...this guy is amazing.
  19. LaBassGuy

LaBassGuy

I like their last two albums. Their song Lowdown has Stuart Zender on bass
  20. bearhart74

bearhart74

If you can find it you should also check out "Jazz in the present tense" by Solsonics

Other worth listening is Galliano, The New Matersounds, and Quantic