Incoming: Aguilar TH500 & double DB112 stack!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Tonegasm, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Tonegasm

Tonegasm www.richwronski.com Supporting Member

I was rocking a Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 and GK 212MBE for about 2 years now. I felt like I was due for a change, so I sold the GB and currently have the GK cab for sale. Was able to get a crazy deal on a brand new Tone Hammer 500 and two 8 ohm DB112 cabs in classic black from MF. The amp arrives tomorrow and one cab arrives next week (one is on backorder).

Really excited to make this move. It was between this rig and an EBS Fafner II rig, which I also got a crazy prize on. The Fafner II looks bad ass and is exponentially more tweakable and has more options, but I'll give that up for price, size, and sound. From all of the demos I have seen, the Aguilar sound is gorgeous and, from what I understand, the TH500 rocks it in spades. Not to mention I adore the classy look.

My rig will look exactly like this:

[​IMG]

2. KJung

KJung

Nice! Post up when you get it. GREAT sounding rig IMO.

I'm mainly posting to say that your Avatar is totally awsome:D

3. Tonegasm

Thanks!

I made exactly the same face when I first heard and played my '71 Precision Bass.

4. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Great avatar and very cool rig!

I too recently have begun the switch from Genz shuttles to Aguilar heads. My DB 750 arrived yesterday and sounds absolutely killer through my bergantino Ht 1x12ER, and I'm sure it will slay through the HT 322! Now I'm looking to probably get the smaller of the TH heads to replace my shuttle 9.0 for "small gig" applications.

That fat and warm Tone is exactly what I was missing, and I feel as though it tames the slight harshness I was getting with my setup on occasion before(Fodera Emperor, Genz 9.0, Berg HT cabs). I was definitely able to EQ things to get pretty close with the Genz, but even a low volumes as I tried out the DB 750 last night, The difference was clear and it put a huge grin on mY face as soon as I plugged in.

Congrats on being a fellow Aggie convert!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jlepre

jlepre

One word STREAMLINER. I too left the Shuttle behind, but stayed with Genz for their customer service. My STM-900 is the best and LAST amp I will ever need.

Sorry for the Hijack, but I DO like the LOOK of those cabs.

7. socialleper

socialleper

What about the Shuttle 6.0 GK setup didn't you like or left you feeling a little meh about it? I'm looking around for used mini-heads since I can't pony up for a new one, and the Aguilar is pretty hard to find used. Was there something about the GB you didn't like?

How would you describe the character of the GK 212?

8. Tonegasm

I didn't like that you couldn't really add any actual drive with the preamp gain knob - just a bit of light "wool." The Aguilar will actually overdrive. I also, as crazy as it sounds, wanted to eliminate tubes from my amps. The new SS designs like the Aguilar sound fantastic without tubes and a tube is just one more thing to fail when I least need it to.

The GK 212MBE is really awesome. 36 lbs, very neutral tone-wise, and it POUNDS! I'm only moving it because the DB112 cabs are more mid-centric which I like.

9. socialleper

socialleper

Did you go for the DB over the GS because the DBs have more mids than the GS?

10. Tonegasm

Yes sir. I prefer the look too, which is an added bonus!

11. rizzo9247

rizzo9247 Supporting Member

What is this crazy deal you speak of!?! :) PM me if needed. Been looking for that exact setup...

12. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Love them DB cabs. Imo, on par with GB's Uber series, as they sound similar. Are your 2 new DB112's both with tweeters, (?), or did you go one with and onew without, (DB112nt?) I use (sometimes) a DB112nt with my Uber 212. They pair nicely, and sound massive together. Congrats on the new rig, it's always like Christmas when you get new stuff.

13. Tonegasm

Thanks! I sprung for the DB 112 NT's. I never ever have the tweeter turned on in my GK 212MBE, so I went for the NT's to save some loot.

14. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Aguilar customer service is not too bad either. I've have had personal email communications with them when I had a bad tweeter. Very fast and clear email communication, and got a phone call when there was a typo on my shipping address. Dave B (aguilar prez) posts on here now and again, so there is good access to Aguilar CS.

As for the Streamliner, I actually just did a trade - my STL600 for a TH350 (+ a little $). Only done living room stuff and one practice with the TH350, so kind of holding off on reporting my thoughts.

15. Tonegasm

Come on now!

16. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Well, initial thoughts are that I like it. But I want to hear it in a live setting, or at least in a louder practice setting... more real world stuff.

I like it as far as features. Don't feel like it is missing anything that I need. I don't need an effects loop or anything. I like a simple amp that sounds good right off the bat.

I like the size. I want a small amp that I can cary as a back up for my tube amps on the road, and in a gig bag for practice. The TH350, IMO, is nice power-to-size ratio. I bought a MB200 (mostly based on size), but didn't really like the sound, and I feel a little better about the TH350s wattage.

As far as sound, I think it's nice. Good heft to the notes, nice tone without having to turn knobs. Quick, articulate, warm. I have been running the master up with no gain or drive, rolling the bass back to 11, and getting a really nice transparent sound (but not that much volume). Turning the gain up for a little more heft, growl, volume, and touch response.

Haven't played with the drive too much, but did get some nice touch sensitive grit with just the gain cranked. Add drive and it turns into more of a "buzz" type sound. More like a preamp overdrive than a power amp overdrive. -- maybe the gain is more like a power amp and the drive is more like a pre amp... just a thought, and I havent really played with all the gain structures too much.

I want to get this thing out and see where it's at with volume. I have owned a Littlemark II, GK MB200, GB STL600. I like the TH350 so far.

FWIW, I have the DB212, and love it. I always play with the tweet off, and never miss it.

17. FunkyMcNasty

FunkyMcNasty Supporting Member

Nice rig man.

I am playing with a single DB112 and the tone hammer right now and am getting some hissing from the tweeter depending on the settings. I am only running the tweeter at about half volume, but if I turn the gain up much, or the treble up much, I get hiss. Have any of you guys had this issue?

18. chaosMK

chaosMK Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Love the look, very classy!

19. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Here's mine......she sounds great

[​IMG]

20. Tonegasm

That is so sexy!!! Can't wait to get mine!!!

21. FunkyMcNasty

FunkyMcNasty Supporting Member

That is a nice looking rig.