Incorrigible Music Lovers (Show Us Your Record Collection)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ArvindJayaram, Nov 10, 2012.

1. ArvindJayaram

ArvindJayaram

Hey,
    Wanted to see who's stupid enough to still buy music in this day and age :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope this doesn't sound cheesy or ridiculous, but I honestly believe that by paying for music, I respect and cherish it more than that guy who always responds to your suggestions on good music to listen to by saying, "Oh yeah, I have that in my collection". I'm always tempted to punch him in the face and yell, "Now you have that hit too, you fake!" Lol. :p

- Jimmy Rage
  2. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium

This is most of them ... the Blue Note & Verve box sets are in the other room
    [​IMG]
  3. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I don't have a picture, but it looks similar to the above post. I have significantly more on my computer, 1000's of albums.
  4. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Same here. I think I have around 500-something cds on a rack kind of like that, but taller.

My roommate sold most, if not all, of his cd collection because he put them all on his computer. When I asked about the slightly inferior sound quality of MP3s and what would happen if a power surge knocked out his computer, I got a sort of unconcerned shrug. He has a surge protector, but I don't think those things can do much because my computer at work, along with the other two computers, got fried in a lightning storm and they all had their own protector.

I personally have to have hard copies of everything - except books. I think most of my personal library is actually digital now....
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ArvindJayaram

ArvindJayaram

I encourage you all to explore the wonderful space that is the internet. I can pretty much hear any song I want on YouTube, legally. So I have just as much music access as the downloaders, thank you very much.

What I love about owning my records, or someone else's is that the collection defines the personality, much in the way a sports car would, but more intricately.

More often than not, I find that dudes with 1000s of albums on their computer don't even know the music too well, or have stuff like Justin Burner and Britney Spears tucked in there. I suppose that's what defines them. Maybe they're saving up enough to get a BMW someday.

Pity you can't download a BMW, what? Just intellectual property. China is the manufacturing base of the world now. Innovative folk in the US are finished (just kidding, I am a firm believer in IP and like good people and hate bad ones).

Still, the way things are going, manufacturing will be the only job to get into. Even plastic Burner manufacturing.

More pics guys, or it doesn't exist. You gotta have one or two CDs, doesn't matter!

- Jimmy Rage
  7. ArvindJayaram

ArvindJayaram

"i earned this music!"
  8. JimB52

JimB52 User Gold Supporting Member

I have about 20 feet of cds, and 10 feet of vinyl. (about half of the albums belong to the futureexwife) Lots of audio cassettes put away somewhere. Hundreds. Useless.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Supporting Member

Media:
    Music related - Miscellaneous is probably the most appropriate place for this. I'll move it there.
  10. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I can't listen to that in the car, on the train, walking to work, working out, etc. as easily.

I have all kinds of stuff in my collection, and there is stuff that I don't listen to on a regular basis. I'm getting the feeling that you're suggesting that because I have a lot of music that I'm not as into it if I only had 50 albums or something. Back in the day, you couldn't just buy one song on the internet, you had to buy to the whole album from a store.

What does having a lot of music have to do with a BMW? Are you saying it has to be stolen?
  11. SquierJazz72

SquierJazz72

I'll organize a picture soon. My stuff is rather scattered between a few places at the moment.

I do still buy music on a physical medium. I just prefer it. I've digitized some of it for my mp3 player, but in the house, I still prefer putting in a CD rather than just having digital files. CD's are heavily used in my car as I never listen to the radio.
  12. Randyt

Randyt

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Adult Pampers
    I have way too many CD's and Vinyl to count ...From A to Z in alot of genres...
    I am really old school, i will still buy all my music from a store...I like to physically have it in my collection...The only time i get something via email (music file) is when a band mate,a job is forwarding me a new tune.
  13. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

[​IMG]

Sad thing is, if I had all the cds I really "need", that rack would have to cover a whole wall.
  14. ffutterman

ffutterman Talentless Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Media:
    I love iPods and I love iTunes on my computer but, more than that, I love having shelves full of CDs. For one, you get all the liner notes and artwork. For me, though, it's more about self-expression. I've got my CD rack front and center in my living room, so anyone that's over and goes up to it and see what I like. They're meticulously arranged alphabetically, multiple albums from the same artist are in chronological order, and every CD is right-side-up in its case. I love my CDs (and the few vinyls I've got).
  15. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I don't have a picture but I have at least 2,000 CDs, about 1,000 vinyl albums, and about 10,000 songs on my Ipod.
  16. ArvindJayaram

ArvindJayaram

@bassgododmw: Wasn't targeting you by any means. I have an iPod and whatever I have in my collection is ripped via iTunes and available on that for mobile music listening.

My point about the BMW was that if it could be digitised and available for free, everyone would get one. Forget BMWs. Think fridges, microwaves and toasters.

Seems to me like the only things being digitised are works of "art", a subjective term. Music, books, movies, software.

It would be cool if we could have free everything. That would be utopian. But no, it's just art, not freaking refrigerators and BMWs.

But what I see is persecution of "artists" who rely on intellectual output to feed their families. And buy toasters. There's this prevailing attitude among most people that the record companies are exploiting artists (which they are) and that by not buying and downloading instead, we are fuelling som great revolution.

I wish people would face facts and see long-term. An artist that doesn't sell albums cannot afford to keep playing music. You already see this in genres like metal, dying slowly. As a result, New artists suffer on entry. And old artists are struggling more to repay their advances.

Not just music, as I said. Software, books, etc.

As a result of the large number of downloaders vis-a-vis the purchasers, there is an attitude that the numbers make it right. Where do these downloads come from? Some fool bought that artwork?

This thread is in honour of those that resisted the herd mentality and did the right thing. You are stupid to resist the popular decree. And for that, we salute you \m/

More pics, more CDs. I want 10,000 CDs on this thread! This is talkbass, right? Where people come to discuss Ritters and Foderas and Sadowskys?

- Jimmy Rage
  17. michael_atw

michael_atw Supporting Member

I stopped buying CDs years ago. Waste of money, IMO.

I refuse to buy MP3 because you get a sound file so compressed and lifeless it's a shame.

I don't like to pirate.

So that basically leaves me with not many means to acquire new music. Except vinyl.
  18. ArvindJayaram

ArvindJayaram

I have a healthy collection of tapes as well, including an Ozzy Osbourne tape that plays backward whenever it feels like it :p
    A good example of what's wrong is Nine Inch Nails. Trent Reznor puts up an album for free on the website. Invariably, some idiot will package it and offer it as a torrent on some website. Why? Why on earth would you do that? Stealing credit? "oh, I have brought you fire"

- Jimmy Rage
  19. MrFrancis

MrFrancis

image-3598030947.jpg

This is my collection..this is only half it, there is a ton more in that box you see. All these records were handed down from me from my uncle (R.I.P. Uncle Luke) who was a DJ in the 70's and 80's. There are cassettes and CD's as well. Everytime I come home I pop open a new one and play the whole LP...Alot of Funk, Jazz, R&B, Soul, Disco, 60's-70's Rock. Alot of records you'd expect to be there as well. He was also from France so alot of rare Italo disco euro tracks. I'm so greatful for all these gems. I'm currently in the process of ripping all this music to my Mac.

The System - Don't Disturb this groove is visible...a very good song and album :)
  20. tycobb73

tycobb73

I had a collection like most of yours. But with Spotify I don't really need it. I hate clutter so it just made sense to go this way. Once thing I hate about it though is that sometimes I forget about bands. I just can't look down my cd collection and pick something.
  21. alecduncan

alecduncan

Even though I'm 20, I have a pretty substantial vinyl collection. None of it is from my parents, who never bothered owning anything but casette tapes (also cool!). Last year, a freak storm hit Baltimore and my parents' basement (where i was storing stuff while I was in college) flooded a good 6 inches. All of my vinyl was affected, and only a few were salvaged, and only one album was in absolute immaculate condition: "Sports" by Huey Lewis and the News. I was so mad that I lost my Bowie/Zeppelin/Talking Heads that I ended up making Huey Lewis the center of an American Psycho-esque bonfire.

Since then, I've slowly started to get a new collection, and at last count I think I actually have more than pre-flood. I managed to pick up a lot more rare and strange albums, like my signed copy of A Place to Bury Strangers' self-titled.