Incredible Jamerson Isoed Track

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by bachlover, Mar 22, 2014.

1. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

2. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

I have What's Going On on my iPod, just to listen to Jamerson. I think it even sounds better in the mix, it makes the whole song.
  3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

After all this time, I still don't get how he made such complex lines without busy.
  4. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Media:
    Albums:
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Humbled

Humbled Supporting Member

...Or sufficient sobriety to sit in a stool: "... Gaye was desperate to have Jamerson play on "What's Going On," and went to several bars to find the bassist. When he did, he brought Jamerson to the studio, who then played the classic line while lying flat on his back..."

Supposedly true.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Jamerson
  7. bachlover

Great link, thanks!
  8. Papersen

Papersen Gold Supporting Member

One the greatest bass geniuses of all time.
  9. acebase62

acebase62 Supporting Member

Jamerson's bass track combined with Beatles "She's Leaving Home":

10. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Very cool I love these iso tracks.
  11. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I think I read somewhere He had been playing in the club and drinking all night and they asked him to come by the studio after he finished at the club. He was too drunk to sit on the stool so he laid on his back and played this.
  12. bachlover

Absolutely! It's where the term "laying down a bass line" came from. ;)
  13. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

You know ive sometimes come up with songs while laying on my back with a bass and all this time I didn't know I was using the great Jamerson technique.

unfortunately nothing I ever came up with was as iconic. But im glad I was channeling the master :p
  14. SirMjac28

lol nice
  15. SirMjac28

I'm going to try it :)
  16. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

Its called being lazy.

maybe my problem is i'm not drunk.
  17. dfp

dfp Supporting Member

"What's Going On", the song, is not the one he supposedly played flat on his back. From the Standing In The Shadows of Motown book, page 62: "On "What's Going On"... he just read the part down like I wrote it. He loved it because I had written Jamerson licks for James Jamerson." (Dave Van dePitte, who arranged the What's Going On album).

also from page 62: "James would tell his friends in later years that he had recorded one of the tracks on the What's Going On album lying flat on his back." (Alan Slutsky).

"one of the tracks"??? which one? anyone got a source?

if there's any truth to the legend, it's most likely that it was not the title track.

Considering the fact that alcohol was a big part of Jamerson's own gradual self-destruction, I think it's sad and ironic that this dumb drunk-on-the-floor legend is so loved by Jamerson fans.
  18. chuck3

chuck3

lol, that doesn't quite work harmonically but it's still fun to listen to.
  19. chuck3

chuck3

no one can question the note choices or the timing/groove. That said, about half of TB would be complaining about their bass amp with that sound. That's not a diss - more the opposite. You don't need perfect sounding amps to lay down a bass line that's immortal. :bassist:
  20. bachlover

Loved because it perpetuates that legend - he could play better in that state than most could play sober (standing).
  21. SirMjac28

+1 that's the way I've always taken it. I use it as an example of his genius when people like to dismiss him as some alcoholic who played on a few hits during Motown's heyday the man never got his due when he was alive and has barely gotten any since his death if he were a lead singer or guitarist people would still be gushing over him.Mr Jamerson is the only musician I would have liked to meet even before Sir Paul and the only one I had tears for when he passed away.